Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Dazzling Double Columbines!

Paghat, I stopped by your website this morning to get some ideas for my
yard's shady areas. Where on earth did you get so many incredible
varieties of Columbine? Those doubles, like the Ruby Port, are
gorgeous! I've never seen anything like them around here. Perhaps
they don't fare well here in Zone 9? If they would enjoy the warmth of
the California sun, would you mind sharing where you got these
beautiful double Columbines?

-Fleemo

Old 11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
paghat

In article .com,
wrote:

Paghat, I stopped by your website this morning to get some ideas for my
yard's shady areas. Where on earth did you get so many incredible
varieties of Columbine? Those doubles, like the Ruby Port, are
gorgeous! I've never seen anything like them around here. Perhaps
they don't fare well here in Zone 9? If they would enjoy the warmth of
the California sun, would you mind sharing where you got these
beautiful double Columbines?

-Fleemo

Zone 9 might indeed be warm for columbines, but in a moist shady location
they're supposed to do okay even in Zone 9, so surely worth a try (when
some standard advice says they are good for zones 3-9, they really mean
4-8 but that it can sometimes be stretched a little above or a little
below).

The doubles (& especially Ruby Port) are quite common offerings in
nurseries in appropriate zones, so I'd at least ask at your best local
nurseries to see what they say about growing these in your area. If they
really won't be stocking them at any time, you could get them mail order &
try them even so; try to find a mail order source that is someplace also
of zone 9.

I got mine from all sorts of local nurseries over the years, but nearby
Bainbridge Gardens about once a year gets in something like 50 different
varieties, some of them somewhat rare, & that's where I got the really odd
cyclamen-like double columbine.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he