Old 14-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Skip Martin

Default Botanical Greeting Cards

No spam intended - please forgive me if it comes off that way.
My wife has recently taken up photography and one of the subjects that
fascinates her is flowers. The photos came out so well we decided to
make cards out of them for personal correspondence.
You can see these at http://www.marybmartin.com and we
would really appreciate any comments you might have (good or bad) as
this may lead to a really enjoyable home-based business.
Any comments to
Thanks to all.
Regards,
Chas. E. Martin
http://www.chasemartin.com
Old 14-02-2005, 08:43 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

No spam intended - please forgive me if it comes off that way.
My wife has recently taken up photography and one of the subjects that
fascinates her is flowers. The photos came out so well we decided to
make cards out of them for personal correspondence.
You can see these at
http://www.marybmartin.com and we
would really appreciate any comments you might have (good or bad) as
this may lead to a really enjoyable home-based business.
Any comments to
Thanks to all.
Regards,
Chas. E. Martin
http://www.chasemartin.com

I see nothing special about Mary's photography; it's not awful, but
botanical photography can be found at such a fantastically high level of
awesome beauty that it is hard to imagine anyone (other than your
immediately family) willing to pay money for insta-prints or notecards of
these merely average shots. She could eventually become really great at it
-- but attempting to sell products made out of these photos, at her
present level of accomplishment, is rather like putting up posters all
over town for your Symphonic Orchestra Performance after eight months of
violin lessons.

The work at your own commercial website is better than that of your wife.
I don't imagine even good photos are easy to sell on the web, but at least
some of the work rises well above mediocrity & more cause for taking pride
in it.

But spam is spam. You can't say "no spam intended" then post links to two
vendor websites & it not be spam. There's always a degree of sadness about
these sorts of websites where artists of low to middling merit try to turn
themselves into vending machines, when even excellent artists can't make
that hat-trick work. When they add stealth spamming techniques to their
repertoir, desparate for visitors (if never quite customers) to
oh-god-please at least LOOK at the products, that adds a level of
dishonesty to the pathos of wishing a website & a laser printer were what
it took to sell art.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 16-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paghat
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

]

I think they are nice, but it sure seems like spam to me as well. It's already a home based business with your take a look and spend $75 per photo while you're there.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.