Old 15-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Jenn Vanderslice

Default Nicotiana question

Hi all,

I was just sent some seed for Nicotiana tabacum. I also purchased some
seeds for Nicotiana alata. The first I'm growing for the
challenge...the second I'm growing for a moon garden.
I know that it's said that you shouldn't plant the Nicotiana tabacum
near tomato plants, but does the same hold true for Nicotiana alata? If
so, how near is near and how far is a safe distance to avoid cross
pollination?

Thanks,
Jenn
--
ASC: Born to Herf 2005: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old 15-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Greg Mortensen

In Jenn Vanderslice writes:

I know that it's said that you shouldn't plant the Nicotiana tabacum
near tomato plants

That's done primarily because of tobacco etch virus[1].

but does the same hold true for Nicotiana alata? If
so, how near is near and how far is a safe distance to avoid cross
pollination?

I'm not aware of the (in)compatibility of N. alata and N. tabacum, but
if you're concerned, wrap the plant you're letting go to seed in
cheesecloth. Peppers, another solanaceae crop, are voracious
cross-breeders and need to be further apart than a honeybee can fly.

If you're not collecting your plant's seeds, then it doesn't matter...

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/pepper/TEV.pdf
--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048/83C90191 -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 0B 65 E0 58 F3 F9 81 F5 |
Old 15-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Greg Mortensen wrote:
In Jenn Vanderslice writes:

I know that it's said that you shouldn't plant the Nicotiana tabacum
near tomato plants

That's done primarily because of tobacco etch virus[1].

but does the same hold true for Nicotiana alata? If
so, how near is near and how far is a safe distance to avoid cross
pollination?

I'm not aware of the (in)compatibility of N. alata and N. tabacum, but
if you're concerned, wrap the plant you're letting go to seed in
cheesecloth. Peppers, another solanaceae crop, are voracious
cross-breeders and need to be further apart than a honeybee can fly.

If you're not collecting your plant's seeds, then it doesn't matter...

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/pepper/TEV.pdf

Wow! First Victoria from RCTN and now Greg from ASC! LOL You people
sure do get around! haha
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll make a trip into the MG office today
and do so more research. What has started out as researching one topic,
has turned into compatibility research too.

Also, you had given me a link on ASC for seedsavers.org, but the page
won't come up. Is that the right address?
Are you the one that is involved in seed swapping? I'm thinking that
may be the way to go to get this garden going since I don't think
they're providing grants for this kinda stuff and it could get
expensive. ;-)

Thanks Greg,
Jenn

Old 15-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Greg Mortensen

In Jenn Vanderslice writes:

Also, you had given me a link on ASC for seedsavers.org, but the page
won't come up. Is that the right address?

The link[1] that I gave you will take you to the membership page. The
Seed Savers Exchange offers more than 11,000 varieties of seeds. The
homepage[2] will take you to their catalog 'business', as well.

J L Hudson[3] is another great source for non-patented seeds; he has a
few N. tabacum varieties[4] -- and sends you a generous amount of seed,
unlike other vendors.

Are you the one that is involved in seed swapping? I'm thinking that
may be the way to go to get this garden going since I don't think
they're providing grants for this kinda stuff and it could get
expensive. ;-)

I, and many, many others, exchange seeds through the SSE. It's a
worthwhile organization to belong to if you're interested in preserving
heirloom varieties. Additionally, if you offer seeds back to the SSE
community, you get a discounted price on your seed purchases.

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://www.seedsavers.org/Membership.html
[2] http://www.seedsavers.org/