Old 15-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Nicotiana affinis

I think that I may have some that has resprouted from its roots - i.e.
has overwintered herbaceously. Is this plausible, or is it some weed
that just looks like Nicotiana affinis? I know that the latter is a
perennial in its native land, but not how it grows there.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole writes:
| Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| I think that I may have some that has resprouted from its roots - i.e.
| has overwintered herbaceously. Is this plausible, or is it some weed
| that just looks like Nicotiana affinis? I know that the latter is a
| perennial in its native land, but not how it grows there.
|
| Most likely it is N. affinis Nick. It can easily re sprout from
| ground level after a mild winter especially the green, pale pink or
| white forms. Nicotianas are more or less perennial here at least for
| 3 or 4 years. I've had the lime green form survive many times, but it
| is not so good a perennial as N. langsdorfii, which I prefer in any
| case. However, the strongest growers are usually 1st year seedlings
| so there's no great advantage in retaining them. I say 'usually'
| advisedly because some years ago, a 3rd year sylvestris grew into an
| enormous plant well over 8 feet high with 40" leaves and carrying many
| hundreds of flowers constantly for several months. I saved the seed
| half hoping I might have stumbled upon a mammoth strain, but nothing
| spectacular came of them or from their progeny.

Thanks. I have put two 'new' seedlings next to them, so will race
them and see :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Jupiter

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:17:00 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

If you wants an ever bigger variety, go straight for the big daddy of
Nicotiana, N. Tabacum. A striking plant, man-high, with big
banana-like leaves like a soft-leaved canna, and rosy, pinkish-purple
tubular flowers at the top. It is the kind of plant you might grow
with dahlias and cannas for a late season semi-tropical display, as a
green foil for more colourful plants. Seemingly the leaves can be put
to good use too, after drying and curing.

Old 17-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Spider

Seemingly the leaves can be put
to good use too, after drying and curing.

I would hardly call it a 'good use'. I don't use insecticides on my
plants; I certainly wouldn't use one on myself.
Spider

Old 17-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Jupiter

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:57:19 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Seemingly the leaves can be put
to good use too, after drying and curing.

I would hardly call it a 'good use'. I don't use insecticides on my
plants; I certainly wouldn't use one on myself.
Spider

Nevertheless, a plant not without a certain economic significance.