Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Steve

Default Garden Irrigation

I have a typical 1500 sq ft ranch home in the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin.
The previous owners let all plantings get wildly out of control and quite
honestly, the entire perimeter of the house was surrounded by larger shrubs
that were not my style.

I removed all the old plantings and started from scratch last year. On all 4
sides of the home there are flower and small shrub beds that basically
surround the home and project about 10 ft out on average. I have re-planted
the majority of this area with new, young, and small plantings. Some shrubs,
some flowers, some grasses, plants, etc.

I also have two larger garden areas in the yard and a vegtable area behind a
shed. These also need revitalizing but I've only gotten to these areas
slightly right now.

Now the fun - the home only has one outdoor water spigot so to date all my
watering has been by hand and with 400ft of hose to reach all areas. Yes,
all that hose is a pain, but not bad compared to the time it takes to just
water these areas. I can and likely will install a 2nd and potentially 3rd
outdoor spigot which means less hose handling at once. However, it really
won't cut down my time.

I need to find a way to keep the young plants well watered in much less
time. I have never used soaker or drip arrangements and such and I'm lookin
for info. I would like this year to setup say the soaker arrangment to loop
around and water the perimeter of the house.

How well do these work? How much lenght can I do? Pressure concerns? Can one
splice in non-soaker type tubing when running across areas that need no
water? I'd like to bury it under my mulch and leave it. Is this problematic
or generally ok? Will these things survive well over a winter? I'm willing
to take the time to install a proper system that works well and looks good
while not shifting my time effort into having to maintain the water lines
and connections. I would either via timer or personal effort turn on the
water flow and let it water the perimeter of the house while I water other
areas. I do not want to extend the system to other areas beyond the
perimeter of the house at least for another two to three years. I enjoy
tending to the other areas, just can't handle it all time wise due to
circumstances. Can anyone point me to resources or websites that might help
me learn, install, and answer questions on this? Any good pointers or bad
experiences?

thanks!

[IMG] code is On

Drip irrigation for container garden Mark Anderson Gardening 9 17-09-2006 10:38 AM
Garden Irrigation ben@iss Lawns 2 09-03-2006 11:03 PM
landscape and garden irrigation... ben@iss United Kingdom 5 08-03-2006 08:45 PM
landscape and garden irrigation... ben@iss United Kingdom 3 08-03-2006 10:59 AM
So you want to put down drip irrigation in the garden simy1 Edible Gardening 4 08-07-2004 03:02 AM