Old 10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
KD

Default Clematis

Greetings all:

Being a rather new homeowner, I'm sort of a beginner to the gardening
thing.

I recently found a good deal on some Clematis roots at my local Costco,
and bought several packages. When I looked at them, each were packed in
a bag of dirt which was quite dry, and several were sprouting greenery.
I was told that as they were drying out so much, it would be a good
idea to pot them when I got them home, and give them some moisture.

So I did that, and they're growing quite happily in my basement window,
waiting for spring. They've been there for three weeks, and it's going
to be at least another month before the ground is defrosted enough to
plant them (I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, zone 5a-b).

My question is - was it a mistake to pot them? Should I have just left
them alone and planted them in the ground outside when it gets warmer?
They're in peat pots, so I plan to just stick them pot and all into the
ground when the weather permits. I'm hoping they will survive the
transition!

Thanks!

KD