Old 13-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Dennis Edward

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
How often do you see turgrass on a forest floor?
You are asking for very un-natural conditions.
You either need groundcovers or a mulch, or to remove the trees.

Actually, if you had read carefully, my problem is not how to grow grass
under trees; it is what to do about the exposed roots. The grass is
growing
wonderfully, even up between the roots, as I clearly said in my post. The
roots make it hard to mow, so the grass looks scraggly there. Plus, the
kids sometimes trip over the roots while running. I was asking if I could
remove the roots to allow my lawn to be mowed, or if it might be better to
plant something else there.

If you have one or two roots, an axe or a chain-saw will suffice to get it
below ground level. If you have a large stump (or more than one), rent a
stump grinder from almost any tool-rental location. They're not that hard to
use, and not that expensive.

I've done all of the above at one time or another.

Old 13-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Suzanne D.

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message news:aY%
If you have one or two roots, an axe or a chain-saw will suffice to get it
below ground level.

We actually have a couple dozen small roots. Would it be okay to remove all
of them this way?
--S.

Old 13-03-2005, 10:00 PM
James

Have you considered adding 3 or 4 inches of topsoil around them, to cover
them up again?? You could gently slope the soil up to and away from them.

--James--

Old 14-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Dennis Edward

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message news:aY%
If you have one or two roots, an axe or a chain-saw will suffice to get
it
below ground level.

We actually have a couple dozen small roots. Would it be okay to remove
all
of them this way?

No reason why not. Good exercise. How much your lawn gets hacked up depends
on how much care you take peeling back the turf and digging out / exposing
the root. Cutting roots with chainsaws is hard on the chain, so have a spare
chain or a file handy.

[IMG] code is On

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Exposed Roots Art Texas 7 21-02-2006 03:48 AM
ideas for VERY exposed garden andrewpreece United Kingdom 33 28-10-2004 05:32 PM
Is the fox a pest ? the lie exposed LordSnooty United Kingdom 166 15-12-2003 08:14 PM
[IBC] Exposed Root Dan Gates Bonsai 0 17-08-2003 06:22 PM