Old 11-03-2005, 11:01 AM

Default need a showcase tree

hello, we're in zone 7-8 (DC area) and are landscaping around our pool
this year. at the far end, we'd like to put something that would be
our showcase tree (slow growing and not too large(20ft max)) and are
looking for ideas. the area would receive full sun and we plan to
install sprinkler. would appreciate any thoughts to research on.

thanks!

Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM
David J Bockman

Presuming they fit in with the overall design theme, here are some
possibilities:

Parrotia persica 'Vanessa'
Stewertia pseudocamillia
Styrax japonicus 'Pendula'
Rhus typhina 'Dissecta'
Pyrus callereyana 'Cleveland Select'
Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem'
Magnolia virginiana 'Henry Hicks'

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

oups.com...

Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Tex John

Or a Japanese Red Maple that stays red all summer if your other foliage is
all green.

John
in Houston

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Presuming they fit in with the overall design theme, here are some
possibilities:

Parrotia persica 'Vanessa'
Stewertia pseudocamillia
Styrax japonicus 'Pendula'
Rhus typhina 'Dissecta'
Pyrus callereyana 'Cleveland Select'
Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem'
Magnolia virginiana 'Henry Hicks'

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

oups.com...

Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
David J Bockman

Good point. No pruning the Rhus while swimming.

Dave

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message MXfYd.34829$QQ3.4646@trnddc02
from "David J Bockman" contains these words:

Rhus typhina 'Dissecta'

Many people get an allergic reaction from skin contact with rhus, so
it's perhaps not a good idea to plant one near a swimming pool.

Janet.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 AM
David J Bockman

To my knowledge, Rhus typhina contains no Urishiol oil. I found this
explanation on the 'net very illuminating:

"All sumachs (sumacs) are members of the Anacardiaceae family, all of which
have some common links which are related poisons. However, toxicity varies
from very high to very low, the lowest, in which common sumac falls, is an
irritant only to hyper-sensitive individuals. Included in this family are
cashews, mangoes and pistachios which, in their marketed state are heavenly,
but in their raw state can cause severe allergic reactions. You see, the
toxin relationship varies with the treatment of the food item. In the genus
Rhus, the specific plants which are very toxic are Rhus radicans (poison
ivy), Rhus toxicodendron (poison oak) and Rhus vernix (poison sumac). The
most virulent is poison sumac; any contact with any part of the plant can
cause severe dermatitis. The degree of reaction to any of these toxins
varies with the exposure and the individual's sensitivity. Many persons
claim they are not allergic to these plants. Not true. These toxins are a
cumlative poison; eventually a threshhold is reached and a severe dermatitis
will result."

I am hypersensitive to Urishiol oil (for example, I've been hospitalized
several times as a child for exposure, before I learned to identify and stay
the hell away from it) and I have *never* had even mild skin irritation
working with Rhus typhina, aromatica, or trilobata. That's why I recommended
it for the intended space and why I (rather rudely, I apologize) made my
cheeky remark.

The message zjlYd.48$oa6.31@trnddc07
from "David J Bockman" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message MXfYd.34829$QQ3.4646@trnddc02
from "David J Bockman" contains these

words:

Rhus typhina 'Dissecta'

Many people get an allergic reaction from skin contact with rhus, so
it's perhaps not a good idea to plant one near a swimming pool.

Good point. No pruning the Rhus while swimming.

You missed the point :-) Just brushing their skin against rhus leaves
and stems will affect some people.

Janet

Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 PM
paghat

In article , "Larry"
wrote:

Japanese Magnolia perhaps.

Larry

wrote in message
oups.com...
hello, we're in zone 7-8 (DC area) and are landscaping around our pool
this year. at the far end, we'd like to put something that would be
our showcase tree (slow growing and not too large(20ft max)) and are
looking for ideas. the area would receive full sun and we plan to
install sprinkler. would appreciate any thoughts to research on.

thanks!

Although most Japanese maples would prefer semi-shade, several such as the
bright red-leafed 'Oshio Beni' suffer no ill consequences of full sun, &
their beauty cannot be beat. Here's my full-afternoon-sun Oshio Beni in
zone 8:
http://www.paghat.com/aceramoenum.html

For something evergreen, a dwarf & perhaps semi-weeping cultivar of a
Cedar of Lebanon or Deodor Cedar is hard to match for huge impact in a
small tree. You'd have to get to someplace with many to select from
because every specimen has such individual character of leaf colors
(green, gold-tipped, or blue) & especially of form.

If you can find a grower or nursery for weeping beeches, they're another
highly ornamental tree with so much individual character from one specimen
to the next that it is ideal to have several to select from. As a lone
tree hovering above a garden or shorter things, these twisted weepers are
outstanding presences. There are green weepers, black weepers, & purple
weepers; they all have spectacular autumn colors then after leaf-fall the
strange shape of the trunk & limbs remains impressive. They're not weepers
like weeping birches or weeping willows, but have interestingly bent limbs
upward-reaching limbs, from which leafy limbs droop, so they look like
slim old ladies in long lace gowns. They're among the very finest
cultivated trees to hold a landscape together single-handedly.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 13-03-2005, 05:47 PM
SKYlark

i suggest "golden rain tree" information included in link below; however, i
disagree with some of the info for i have seen this tree growing in zone 9
in florida.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ew/laburnum_an
agyroides.html

my biggest suggestion is DO NOT BUY THIS (or anything) FROM SPRINGHILL
NURSERY!!!!

Newsgroups: rec.gardens