Old 11-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Wylie Wilde

Default interior pond

I just moved into a tropical bungalow which has a shallow indoor pond. Its
new but hasn't been used for several years. I switched it on over the
weekend and its seems ok. But the water flow is dead slow at the end of the
pond. And I'm worried about it breeding mossies. there might also be some
problem with it. I'm hoping that some of you here who are more knowledgable
about such matters can help me and offer some constructive advice.

(I can't ask the previous owner/builder; he moved off in a hurry overseas
and can't be contacted)

But first some info... Its large - measuring 14 feet by 14 feet. But the
depth is shallow- and measures an average of only an inches. the concrete
floor also covered by a river rocks.

Its flanked on both ends by two drains where the pumps and outlet pipes sit
(inside). The twon drains are very deep and hold about 5% of the pond water.
The two pumps and what appears to be a drain value are on one end;
the outlet nozzles and pipes are on the opposite drain- which is on slightly
higher ground.

When I checked it out, the drains were still full of old water. I filled the
pond full of water then turned on the pumps. One section worked. The other
section didn't; its pipes are embedded into the concrete and I assumed join
the 2nd filter pump.

So I had water nicely flowing on the left side of the pond. Whilst the right
side was slightly stagnant. Concrete paving steps line the middle section of
the pond and prevent the working side from helping out the non-working
section. And as mentioned river rocks cover the entire place. The water flow
is barely a trickle at the end of the pond closest to the pumps, filters,
and drain valve.

To cut a long story short, the problem is that the pond is too shallow on
one end. The flow of water is not vigourous or flowing in 60% of the pond
and in certain section esp at the drain where the pumps are - the water is a
trickle.

Whats the best way to prevent mossies from breeding in the stagnant parts of
the pond. Even if I stop the pumps, the water still sits in the drains and
does not go away.

I thought of adding chlorine into the pond or herbal oil or even cheap lemon
detergent.

Much obliged for your kind comments.

--
Regards,
Wilde

___________________________
Classic Humor
www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail117.html

Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie Wilde
[...]

Hi Wilde,
There is something called mosquito dunks or mosquito donuts. It also comes in granular form. It's harmless to humans and animals and is Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt. It can be purchased at most garden centers, especially those that specialize in ponds and pond plants. Here's a couple of sites that should be helpful.

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/bti.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM

yes. it doesnt take much bleach to keep mossies down, also this would keep algae down
too. If you want circulation on the other side consider a small pump.
Of course, using bleach dont add fish or plants. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 PM

Guppies
Mollies
Platys
Live fish limit your choice of chemicals however.
BTI a bacterial mosquito larvacide is harmless to fish, no larvae will
survive the fish however.