Old 15-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Wylie Wilde

Default Interior Pond problems - update

Hello,

I got a local pond expert to give me his opinion on the pond. He checked it
out and said straight up - one of the submersible pumps wasn't working and
was probably burnt out and had to be replaced. Cost $350- installation -
including changing of pipes, etc.. $500.

You could hear the pump humming away in an erratic fashion but it wasn't
pumping water. Note- its not any bigger than my Eheim external pump. That's
about 40cm x 15cm big.

I don't know much about submersible pumps - but if they are anything like
external EHEIM aquarium pumps they should have an magnetic impeller located
inside which can be replaced for a $30.

The expert assured me that was not the case and again told me to replace the
pump and pipes.

Should I follow his advice? I might call another fellah up.

Cheers,

YM

--
Regards,
Wilde

___________________________
Classic Humor
www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail117.html

Old 16-03-2005, 01:37 AM
RichToyBox

Did you get a look at the brand and model number of the pump, or is it
readily removable? Many of the submersible pumps do have replacement
impellers which are relatively inexpensive, some are sealed units that are
really not repairable. The magnetic drive units are easy to repair and are
the most cost effective of the pumps.
--
RichToyBox

Old 16-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Wylie Wilde wrote:

I got a local pond expert to give me his opinion on the pond. He checked
it out and said straight up - one of the submersible pumps wasn't working
and was probably burnt out and had to be replaced. Cost $350- installation
- including changing of pipes, etc.. $500.

You could hear the pump humming away in an erratic fashion but it wasn't
pumping water. Note- its not any bigger than my Eheim external pump.
That's about 40cm x 15cm big.

I don't know much about submersible pumps - but if they are anything like
external EHEIM aquarium pumps they should have an magnetic impeller
located inside which can be replaced for a $30.

The expert assured me that was not the case and again told me to replace
the pump and pipes.

I would suspect his diagnosis is good - and many submersibles are
epoxy-encased so that you can't fix anything _other_ than the impeller -
but his costs are a little steep. $350 for a submersible pump is on the
high end, but it depends how big it is. Why did he say the pipes need to be
changed?
--
derek
Old 17-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Wylie Wilde

Yes, its a Grundfos. I can't read the model number though. It needs to be
pulled out of the drain. However, its power wire appears to be physically
attached to the industrial electrical socket. I'd tread carefully before
yanking it out.

But best of all- I contacted Grundfos who have an office here.

This is what he said- (later he also provided me with a pond contractor's
details)

base on your picture attached i presume that the pump type we are
discussing is AP35B model.

AP35B pump has a life span estimated L10 hours ( 20 degree C ) 12000hrs.
Coolant oil change every 2000hrs by continuous operation or every year by
intermittent operation. When you ON the supply, the pump is not pumping i
suspect that motor is shorted. And there is no way to service or rewind

the
motor as it is a enclosure class: IP68 motor.

My advise is to send in pump for further analysis of the failure or to
purchase a new pump. But we need your assistance in providing us the

right
pump type that you are having. Grundfos do not supply labour to dismantle
pump inside the pond as we are not certified water pond contractor but a
pump manufacturer.

interior pond problems Angrie.Woman Ponds 0 12-03-2005 04:43 PM
interior pond Wylie Wilde Gardening 4 12-03-2005 04:32 PM
"CULTURE OF FEAR" at US Interior Department remove munged Gardening 6 19-09-2004 05:13 PM
Blue Spruce browning, dropping interior needles.. paslaz Gardening 5 18-10-2003 04:02 AM
Interior Plantscaping Survey [email protected] Plant Biology 0 01-08-2003 10:38 PM