Old 15-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ross
Jim wrote:

I have recently cleared a hill in my yard. It's too steep for a lawn mower so I want to plant a ground cover. Does anyone have any suggesstions for a nice ground cover? I live in the mid-atlantic and the hill is fairly sunny. The hill is about 20' down and 60' across. Maybe more than one ground cover?

Two low-growing ground covers are pink clover (knotweed, Persicaria capitata, hardy to about 18F) and cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana, hardy to 0F). They spread in solid mats of foliage 1-3 inches thick and have nice small flowers. You can then plant shrubs, bulbs, or tall perennials through them.

--
David E. Ross
Jamie, you might want to check out which plants are considered invasives in your area. What may be a great garden plant in one area of the country may be an invasive in your area. Go to www.google.com and put in the search box:

You can also get information on any recommendations at google. Best to use botanical names or check out common names as several plants can have the same common name. An example is the recommendation of pink clover. Botancially, pink clover - Trifolium repens is NOT knotweed - Persicaria capitata.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ersicaria.html
http://www.denverplants.com/wflwr/html/trifo_rep.htm

Here's a site where you can check the botanical names of many plants using the common name. Not everything is listed, but it might be helpful.
http://www.mswn.com/Cross%20Index.htm

Newt
Both Vinca minor and Vinca major have escaped into the wild are can be invasive in woodlands, so best to plant where it is contained and can't roam into wild areas.
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.