Old 25-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Den

Default Ants in abundance in compost

Group:

Live in Sunny (wet!) SoCal. This my first year composting. The compost is
lookingreally good, but the only problem is that I have huge numbers of ants
infesting the compost. Is this good or bad? If the latter, should I
somehow treat the compost - with what?

Cheers

Den

Old 26-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Phisherman

Insects are good for the compost. They help break materials down and
spread bacteria and spores. You compost pile may be too dry or not
large enough? A good pile is at least one cubic yard, less than that
the pile can decrease the decompostion rate. Turning the pile helps
and will discourage ants. I use a D-handle pitch fork to turn the
compost.

Old 26-03-2005, 03:54 PM

Compost is too dry, turn and moisten it to be like a wet but not drippy
sponge and the ants will seek other quarters.