Old 28-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Bear Drummer

Default sarsaparilla

I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started
making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow
it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

Old 28-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Hound Dog

"Bear Drummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started
making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow
it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

When I was a young boy, we had a terrible storm in Kentucky where we lived.
The wind had blow down many trees including a Sarsaparilla tree. (At least
that's what my grand dad called it) He cut off several of the roots and
boiled them in a large kettle of water and added a lot of sugar. Best root
beer I have ever drank.

I don't know if you can find sarsaparilla herbs, but I have found a
concentrated liquid form in the food stores that can be diluted and brewed
into a good non carbonated drink.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Frank Logullo

"Bear Drummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started
making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow
it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

Think it is frowned upon today as possible carcinogen:
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b.../Risk/risk.htm
Safrole is the offending ingredient but I see here it is also in black
pepper.
Oh well,
Frank

Old 29-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Not Again

On 4/28/05 2:02 PM not too long ago, Bear Drummer attempted to enlighten
me, thusly:
I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has
started making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want
to grow it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

You are looking for the wrong thing, I believe. Sarsaparilla is a vine
and not really used to make root beer. You are most likely thinking of
the Sassafras tree whose roots are used to make "root" beer. In your
searches did you find this?:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_354.html
Old 29-04-2005, 06:17 PM
David Ross

Bear Drummer wrote:

I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started
making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow
it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

Sarsaparilla is an extract from the roots of Smilax officinalis.
Its use in root beer was for the foam (head) it creates, not for
its flavoring.

You want either sasparilla (different from sarsaparilla) or
sassafras, each of which (or together in combination) have been
used to FLAVOR root beer. Sasparilla is extracted from the roots
of Aralia nudicaulis, a perennial. Sassafras is extracted from the
roots of Sassafras officinale or Sassafras albidum, both of which
are trees.

Sarsaparilla, sasparilla, and sassafras are all toxic in
significant quantities. Thus, care should be taken in how strong
you make your root beer and how much you drink in a day.

Producers of illegal drugs use safrole and isosafrole, derived from
the oil of sassafras root bark, as a precursor in the manufacture
of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (known as MDMA, ecstasy, XTC, and
Adam). The use of sassafras as a flavoring was banned by the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration in 1960 after safrole was found to be
hepatocarcinogenic (liver-cancer-causing) in the rat.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 30-04-2005, 12:45 AM
madgardener

"Bear Drummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are
in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started
making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow
it, not buy it in bulk...

I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a
source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?

that would be the sassafras tree. And you'd have to boil the whole damn
thing to get a toxic ticturn. And the person saying there was something at
the store, is speaking of the bottled concentrate (it's not THAT strong) is
called "Pappy Sassafras" and it's safe to use. I would suspect living in
Mississippi youi have it growing in the woods and just don't know it. Ask an
older person. They'll point out the palmate leaves and you can dig up a
sapling. I have six of them given me by the southern fairies and will
encourage them to grow as they are also beautiful trees in the fall.
madgardener

Old 30-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Hound Dog

"madgardener" wrote in message

[...]

The Root Beer Concentrate I wrote about is called just that "Root Beer
Concentrate"
It is from McCormick.

A 2.0 Ounce bottle of concentrate will make 5 Gallons of Root Beer. That
seems pretty strong to me!

A URL for this product may be found at:

http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6033

Old 30-04-2005, 07:18 AM
presley

Anyone who has ever pulled up a sassafras sapling knows instantly that the
roots smell exactly like root beer......They grow like weeds in the woods of
the Southeast. However, I didn't know this until I started clearing some
underbrush from the woods behind my house in north Florida.

Old 30-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Bear Drummer

therein lies the problem... I don't know anyone who knows.... it does
make it difficult to locate...

Old 30-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Hound Dog

"Bear Drummer" wrote in message
ps.com...
therein lies the problem... I don't know anyone who knows.... it does
make it difficult to locate...

You may buy a Sassafras tree from Nature Hills Nursery. The price for a 4'
tree is $21.95 + delivery.

Copy the URL below into your browser for more details.

http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/productdetails.aspx?proname=Sassafras+Tree&ovchn=G GL&ovcpn=Trees&ovcrn=sasafras+tree&ovtac=PPC

Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Ann

lgb expounded:

OTOH, if you live where sassafras doesn't grow, make friends with a
rebel, you damyankee :-).

We're yankees up here, fer sher, and we've got plenty of sassafras
growing around here...
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts