Old 02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
John John

Default Fence screening ideas for pool area

I am trying to find a good plant that will provide an attractive, dense
screen for my pool. The pool currently has a wooden privacy fence all
around it, but the fence doesn't provide a full screen because of the
spaces between the wooden slats. I know that there are tons of plants
that would provide a great solution to my problem in a normal situation,
but unfortunately my situation is a bit odd. The side of the pool that
is troubling me is extremely close to the privacy fence and there is not
much room between the pool decking and the fence itself that would allow
me to plant in. That side of the pool has a planting depth of anywhere
between only 4 inches and 2 feet in which to plant anything in (it is a
curve shaped pool).

I was thinking about trying to plant some bamboo trees to create a dense
privacy screen there, but I know that even if I were successful in
planting bamboo in this oddly shaped location, bamboo has a bad
reputation of spreading rapidly and taking over nearby areas (like my
neighbor's yard on the other side of the privacy fence!). I have no idea
what plant (if any) I can use to create the dense privacy screen that I
would like, given the limited planting area that I have.

Any help with my problem?

Desperately wanting complete privacy,
John_John

Old 03-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Travis

John John wrote:
[...]

Clumping bamboo. Bamboo is not a tree it is a grass.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Vox Humana

"John John" wrote in message
[...]

Where are you? What is the exposure of the problem area (N-S-E-W)? Is it
in full sun or shaded by trees or structures?

Bamboo may be a good choice. You can put down root barrier to prevent the
bamboo confined. Once a year or so you have to make sure none of the
rhizomes are trying to escape over the top of the barrier. Check out this
FAQ and brows the site for information:
http://www.burtonsbamboogarden.com/i...p?page=faq.php