Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Screening for North Facing Fence

Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north
boundary of my property. A stipulation is that the fence must be set 500mm
(20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the
fence and help it blend into the street scene.
My intention is to erect a fence with concrete posts and 300mm high concrete
gravel board beneath the panels.
So I guess the best screening measure would be to include low level plants
to obscure the gravel board and something taller to mask the posts.

To minimise the impact of this planting I would like to include the
following restrictions if possible:

As low maintenance as possible, given we cannot see this ourselves and would
be maintaining it for the benefit of others.
Suitable for north facing location in East Yorkshire (quite high so wind
tolerance needed).
Not too nutrient hungry (or with invasive route systems) as I will have a
veg plot the other side of the fence.

The fence is being erected to replace a row of Blue Lawson conifers, so much
of the goodness will have been stripped from the surrounding soil long ago.
Any recommendations on plant varieties and ground preparation required will
be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north
boundary of my property. A stipulation is that the fence must be set
500mm
(20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the
fence and help it blend into the street scene.

hydrangea petiolaris

pk

Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

You could try one of the climbing Hydrangeas, H petiolaris or H
quelpartensis, both deciduous and hardy but neither will require much
attention although both are slow starters and you may need more than one
plant to acheive a reasonably cover. But they are self clingers and in
good light flower well with scented flowers.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-02-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , TheScullster
writes
Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north
boundary of my property. A stipulation is that the fence must be set 500mm
(20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the
fence and help it blend into the street scene.
My intention is to erect a fence with concrete posts and 300mm high concrete
gravel board beneath the panels.
So I guess the best screening measure would be to include low level plants
to obscure the gravel board and something taller to mask the posts.

My father has Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' happily growing against a
north-facing wall (moist, but free-draining, soil).

To minimise the impact of this planting I would like to include the
following restrictions if possible:

As low maintenance as possible, given we cannot see this ourselves and would
be maintaining it for the benefit of others.
Suitable for north facing location in East Yorkshire (quite high so wind
tolerance needed).
Not too nutrient hungry (or with invasive route systems) as I will have a
veg plot the other side of the fence.

The fence is being erected to replace a row of Blue Lawson conifers, so much
of the goodness will have been stripped from the surrounding soil long ago.
Any recommendations on plant varieties and ground preparation required will
be gratefully received.

Before replanting you can engage in some soil improvement.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered User

I would not use Hydrangea petiolaris as others have suggested because it is deciduous and grows very slowly. If you do want to use a Hydrangea try the Mexican one called H. seemanii. The flowers are identical. But it is evergreen and grows a great deal quicker than those mentioned. But it too takes a couple of years to get its roots established.

My 'how to build a palisade fence' page does exactly that. I use mine for clematis (I have a 100 varieties).
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
Large garden-based website. Gardens open daily (April-October). New Gardening forums