Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 AM
RG

Default Any tall indoor plant suggestions?

I'm looking for a suitable tall plant to live indoors. I've got a
space with high ceilings: 15-20'. We live in San Francisco, Zone 9.
There's a large skylight above the area, and a south facing glass wall
about 15' away. I know ficus might work but any other suggestions?
Smaller pots are ideal (less than 30" diameter)but we'd go for
something larger if necessary...

Many thanks.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:18 AM
chaz

"RG" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking for a suitable tall plant to live indoors. I've got a
space with high ceilings: 15-20'. We live in San Francisco, Zone 9.
There's a large skylight above the area, and a south facing glass wall
about 15' away. I know ficus might work but any other suggestions?
Smaller pots are ideal (less than 30" diameter)but we'd go for
something larger if necessary...

Many thanks.

How about sapharilla? (SP?)

Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I'm looking for a suitable tall plant to live indoors. I've got a space with high ceilings: 15-20'. We live in San Francisco, Zone 9. There's a large skylight above the area, and a south facing glass wall about 15' away. I know ficus might work but any other suggestions?
Smaller pots are ideal (less than 30" diameter)but we'd go for something larger if necessary...

Many thanks.

Hi RG,

Sounds like a lovely setting. It is a high light area so here are some that come to mind.

Schefflera aka Umbrella Tree - Brassaia actinophylla
Several different varieties of this plant so I'm listing the botanicla name as other varieties don't get as tall. This one has large leaves that will need dusting from time to time.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...inophylla.html

Yucca - Yucca elephantipes
Not my favorite, but doesn't need much attention for water, so if you like to water, this isn't for you.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...phantipes.html

If you want something that blooms think about a tropical hibiscus - Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (there are hardy varieties for outdoors in colder climates).
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...-sinensis.html
http://www.valentine.gr/hibiscus_en.htm
http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/index.html

If you like flowers and fragrance in a tree, how about Brugmansia?
http://www.brugmansia.us/

Here's one you won't see often and may have trouble finding with red leaves and odd blooms. Leea coccinea - West Indian Holly aka Red Leea
http://www.plantcare.com/catalog/tep...664b cf80545d
http://www.rareflora.com/leearubra.htm
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i..._coccinea.html

Another that blooms and is interesting are the Heliconia. Many varieties but this one is supposed to be the most beautiful.
HELICONIA ROSTRATA - Lobster Claw
http://www.rareflora.com/heliconiaros.htm

You can also search here or use these as reference.
http://www.plantcare.com/catalog/tep...yPlantType.php

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:11 PM
SedumQueen

I'd suggest gold-dust dracaena or a bamboo.