Old 11-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Ken K

Default Eliminating suckers at the base of redwood trees

We have a few redwood trees on our property; at the base of many, and
along the roots of a few, there are many suckers which develop all the
time. They look like thin asparagus shoots. One tree has a rather
large accumulation along one root that is about 2 feet in diameter.

What can I do to eliminate or discourage these suckers from growing
without endangering the trees?

Thanks
Ken K
Old 11-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Arborsmith

For Redwood trees this is normal and healthy, they could be called
"suckers" but actually add energy to the root of the tree and are the
back up sprouts if anything goes wrong with the main tree. They can
even develop into large trees of their own. If it important to remove
them for ascetic reasons then just prune them back to the trunk and rub
out sprouts as they appear, otherwise just let them grow.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Ken K

Arborsmith wrote:

For Redwood trees this is normal and healthy, they could be called
"suckers" but actually add energy to the root of the tree and are the
back up sprouts if anything goes wrong with the main tree. They can
even develop into large trees of their own. If it important to remove
them for ascetic reasons then just prune them back to the trunk and rub
out sprouts as they appear, otherwise just let them grow.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

Thanks, Richard. The sprouts are rather numerous and thick on a few
trees. Is there anything that can be applied to discourage them from
growing and that will not harm the tree? the trees are about 40-50 feet
tall and I don't want to see one of them die and pierce our roof.....!
Old 11-08-2020, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to Ken K, LESLIE AGUILAR wrote:
Can you cover the sprouts in cardboard.to keep them from growing. I have a
16ft old growth stump. We would love to make a patio area on, but the sports
are crazy. Help

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ees-36437-.htm

[IMG] code is On

Suckers from tree base Higgs Boson Gardening 10 07-09-2011 05:04 PM
Redwood trees Patrick Gardening 11 27-11-2004 10:27 PM
Natural way of eliminating ivy? TIA JuanMa Lawns 2 29-03-2003 12:20 AM
Natural way of eliminating ivy? TIA [email protected] Lawns 0 27-03-2003 02:44 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM