Old 20-05-2005, 11:59 PM
brsher

Default Squirrels in tomato garden

Can anyone suggest a way to keep squirrels out of my tomato garden. I have
my tomato plants enclosed in a three foot fence, but the squirrels just
climb over it. Last year, they destroyed every tomato. I live in a
metropolitan area, so guns are not an option.

Old 21-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Frank Logullo

"brsher" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a way to keep squirrels out of my tomato garden. I

have
my tomato plants enclosed in a three foot fence, but the squirrels just
climb over it. Last year, they destroyed every tomato. I live in a
metropolitan area, so guns are not an option.

Hav-a-hart trap is best bet but some places do not even allow this. I take
squirrels to park.
Largest trap is good idea. Mine is 2nd largest and would not hold large
raccoon that was pestering me.
I've never seen squirrels going after tomato or plants so you may have
another pest like a groundhog or raccoon.
Large rat traps will occasionally nail one - squirrels like peanut butter.
I've also popped a couple with my bow and neighbor uses low velocity 22's
which do not make too much noise.

Old 22-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Snooze

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"brsher" wrote in message
I live in metropolitan area, so guns are not an option.

I've also popped a couple with my bow and neighbor uses low velocity 22's
which do not make too much noise.

Because in a city, where your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from your
property line firing a low velocity 22 is a safe thing, or even legal.

Old 22-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Jim Carlock

I've grown some pigweed here and the leaves I'm told are edible. Some
of it also has some nice sharp thorns and I've placed it in areas where
I've seen squirrels digging holes. It seems to be working. I let one seed
last year and they supposedly produce 200,000 or more seeds and I
believe it. The seeds are supposedly viable for up to ten years, not that
I care but from one plant I've already pulled up 20 (or more) pigweeds
and have been using them here and there where I've seen squirrels
digging. They've stopped digging in those areas.

Not all of it has thorns but most of it does. I basically pull all the leaves
off and make sure there's no seeds on the stem before I drop the stem
in the area where I don't want squirrels. The squirrels seem to have a
very good memory and so far it's working very well.

If you've got another type of thorny vine, lay that around the area where
your tomatos are growing.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.