Old 17-10-2007, 09:12 AM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

Default What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels!

On 16 Oct, 22:05, "@@^" wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:08:51 +0100, Malcolm

wrote:

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/w...ourmets-episod...
ide-07-10-10_p_5.html

If that doesn't work because it's on two lines, try:

http://tinyurl.com/3ydc3h

Judging by the reactions of the people trying the food, it was
absolutely delicious! Perhaps Angus would like to put the link on his
website :-)

And this sounds even better:

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...spiced-squirre...
pcorn-recipe-07-10-16_p_1.html

http://tinyurl.com/3yxjrv

Enjoy :-)

I wonder what the world will have to say about an SNH adviser
suggesting we should eat squirrels?

Bit unscientific isn't it?

Why 'unscientific'? Unless you're a rabid vegetarian, what's the
difference between eating squirrel and eating lamb or beef or pork?

Old 17-10-2007, 09:31 AM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 16 Oct, 22:05, "@@^" wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:08:51 +0100, Malcolm

snip

I wonder what the world will have to say about an SNH adviser
suggesting we should eat squirrels?

Bit unscientific isn't it?

Why 'unscientific'? Unless you're a rabid vegetarian, what's the
difference between eating squirrel and eating lamb or beef or pork?

To a vegetarian, there'd be no difference between eating meat from
squirrels, sheep, cattle or pigs, it would all be equally unacceptable.

To a meat eater, there may be a difference between squirrel-meat and lamb,
beef, etc. Not many meat-eaters knowingly or willingly consume meat from all
species of mammals - most in our culture eschew eating rats, mice, foxes,
shrews, bats, otters, voles, moles, badgers, weasels, stoats, martens, cats,
dogs, and so on, for example. The grey squirrel gets such a bad press, being
labelled 'tree rat', carrier of squirrel pox, scavenger, etc., that it's
probably thought of as being in the 'vermin' category, which would probably
make its flesh difficult to market successfully.

Old 17-10-2007, 09:53 AM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

On 17 Oct, 09:31, "BAC" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com... On 16 Oct, 22:05, "@@^" wrote:
[...]

Point taken, but that still doesn't make Malcolm's suggestion
'unscientific'. Impracticable, maybe.

Old 17-10-2007, 10:45 AM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

On 17 Oct, 10:42, ah wrote:
wrote:
On 17 Oct, 09:31, "BAC" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com... On 16 Oct, 22:05, "@@^" wrote:
[...]

Fanciful, maybe.- Hide quoted text -

Whimsical, perchance.

Old 17-10-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

On 17 Oct, 10:45, wrote:
On 17 Oct, 10:42, ah wrote:

wrote:
On 17 Oct, 09:31, "BAC" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Whimsical, perchance.- Hide quoted text -

Fanciful and whimsical, perhaps, but not impossible and far from
inedible, I'm assured. That being said, I'm not sure how fnaciful or
whimsical it is, after all dormice and guinea pigs are eaten in many
parts of the world, and rabbits and hares, which are more or less
closely related to squirrels, are very popular here in Britain so why
should squirrel casserole taste so different?

How does one tell the age of a squirrel? Although I'm more than happy
to feed the buzzards and kites with the carcasses of my squirrels, I
do sometimes wish I could be keep the younger ones back for the pot.

Old 17-10-2007, 04:16 PM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

wrote:

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/w...ourmets-episod...
ide-07-10-10_p_5.html

If that doesn't work because it's on two lines, try:

http://tinyurl.com/3ydc3h

Judging by the reactions of the people trying the food, it was
absolutely delicious! Perhaps Angus would like to put the link on his
website :-)

And this sounds even better:

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...spiced-squirre...
pcorn-recipe-07-10-16_p_1.html

http://tinyurl.com/3yxjrv

Enjoy :-)

I wonder what the world will have to say about an SNH adviser
suggesting we should eat squirrels?

Bit unscientific isn't it?

Why 'unscientific'? Unless you're a rabid vegetarian, what's the
difference between eating squirrel and eating lamb or beef or pork?- Hide quoted text -

Fur, pretty eyes, and a bushy tail.
And then there's the size thing....

Old 17-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[

[...]
make its flesh difficult to market successfully.[/i][/color][/i][/color]

Point taken, but that still doesn't make Malcolm's suggestion
'unscientific'. Impracticable, maybe.

Fanciful, maybe.- Hide quoted text -

Whimsical, perchance.- Hide quoted text -

Fanciful and whimsical, perhaps, but not impossible and far from
inedible, I'm assured. That being said, I'm not sure how fnaciful or
whimsical it is, after all dormice and guinea pigs are eaten in many
parts of the world, and rabbits and hares, which are more or less
closely related to squirrels, are very popular here in Britain so why
should squirrel casserole taste so different?

How does one tell the age of a squirrel? Although I'm more than happy
to feed the buzzards and kites with the carcasses of my squirrels, I
do sometimes wish I could be keep the younger ones back for the pot.[/quote]

There was a restaurant serving squirrel paté as a starter, but had to stop when the animal rights activists threatened to torch the place.
Old 17-10-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

"Gwyddno" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fanciful and whimsical, perhaps, but not impossible and far from
inedible, I'm assured. That being said, I'm not sure how fnaciful or
whimsical it is, after all dormice and guinea pigs are eaten in many
parts of the world, and rabbits and hares, which are more or less
closely related to squirrels, are very popular here in Britain so why
should squirrel casserole taste so different?

From todays Times, "The famous Wild Boar Hotel in Cumbria is offering free
squirrel pancakes to diners. They have lots after a cull and are serving
them Peking Duck style apparently.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
A little learning is a dangerous thing, but it still beats total ignorance.

Old 17-10-2007, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

On Oct 17, 2:31 pm, Gwyddno wrote:
On 17 Oct, 10:45, wrote:

On 17 Oct, 10:42, ah wrote:

wrote:
On 17 Oct, 09:31, "BAC" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

As with a lot of game, a lengthy marinade will soften them up a treat.
Locally, wild boar portions are marinaded for about 4 or 5 days prior
to roasting.

Old 17-10-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

Greetings little british gourmets - I will tell you how to make tasty
meal from rats al la cuisine mongolian. First you get Marmot dancer to
caper around and marmots pop out and Marmot dancers assistant grabs
them. Skin your marmot round the neck and fold back the marmots skin
round it's neck so that only one orifice is left. Insert greased bung
up the arse of the marmot and throw on the fire. As the monglian
marmot inflates when it is ready for serving the bung blasts out his
arse. The honoured guest then gets the first squirt of marmot juice
which of course is the clearings of the rats bowels. The honoured
guest invariably having participated in this ancient and honourable
ceremoney of the drinking of the juice form the bowels of rat then
sometimes contracts serious disease whilst the mongolians get to drink
the tasty stomach contents.

Fanciful and whimsical, perhaps, but not impossible and far from
inedible, I'm assured. That being said, I'm not sure how fnaciful or
whimsical it is, after all dormice and guinea pigs are eaten in many
parts of the world, and rabbits and hares, which are more or less
closely related to squirrels, are very popular here in Britain so why
should squirrel casserole taste so different?

How does one tell the age of a squirrel? Although I'm more than happy
to feed the buzzards and kites with the carcasses of my squirrels, I
do sometimes wish I could be keep the younger ones back for the pot.- Hide quoted text -

Old 18-10-2007, 07:08 PM posted to demon.local,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc

On 17 Oct, 01:31, "BAC" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com... On 16 Oct, 22:05, "@@^" wrote:
[...]

When I was younger (here in the bad old u.s.of Arserica)
squirrel hunting was a legitimate excuse to skip school.
I don't recollect that I ever actually ate it, but on a
diet of nuts I would expect outstanding flavor. Whatever.
As I meant to say when I hit the [Reply] button, this
nation has gotten so inbred/incestuous, mainly from the
do-gooder/ kill-no-creature no-matter-how-sick mentality,
that the majority of our rampant squirrel population,
like most "protected" critters, are now carriers of Rabies.
the big R.