Old 25-05-2005, 04:52 AM

Default fabric under lakeshore gravel

I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it
right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8"
deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is
6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Joe
Old 25-05-2005, 12:37 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:30:49 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:
I would check to see if what you propose is legal. In many
jurisdictions messing with bodies of water may require all sorts of
permits.

It is a man-made lake (or pond) in western Illinois and other
homeowners in the association have similar rip rap on their shoreline.

Joe

Old 25-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it
right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8"
deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is
6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Joe

What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this
particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?

Old 25-05-2005, 04:09 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:57:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this
particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?

There are willows and weeds growing along the shore that have been
cleared but are coming back. He wants a cleaner, weed free shoreline
so they can fish from shore without getting muddy or scratched up.

Joe

Old 25-05-2005, 04:22 PM

wrote:
What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this
particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?

Yes, it freezes in the winter.
Old 25-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:
What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this
particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?

Yes, it freezes in the winter.

OK...I'm wondering if the movement and heaving of the ice will rip up the
landscape fabric, so it'll end up messy, in shreds, and have to be replaced.
This may point out the importance of doing some very exhaustive research
into various types of fabric.

Old 25-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Frank Logullo

wrote in message
I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it
right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8"
deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is
6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I've heard of construction fabrics being put under stone road beds to
distribute the load. They are probably more rugged than landscape fabric.
Frank

Old 25-05-2005, 11:29 PM
~Roy~

They put a large main water line thorugh this area years ago and used
a very heavy fabric. I got ahold of a partial roll from them and had
used it in and around trees adn flower beds as well as under my
driveway so mucd does not come up through. It has held up fine....Of
ocurse I do not get freezing weather of any kind here and house water
lnes are sometimes only 10- 12 inches below the ground level.

But they ripped up a section of this water line to change things
around and the fabricx that got pulled up was in extremely good
condition.......The water main was installed along the centerline of a
gravel road, so it did get lots of pressure and stress put on it.
Check with a supplier of maleable iron pipe such as used for water
lines, or a sanitary sewer engineering, or your local water authority
for info on where they get their fabric. I am sure it would probabaly
last through freezes without a problem....much more substantial than
the material sold in garden centers and big box stores, and probably
cheaper to buy as well especially in the quanity your probably looking
to use.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:49:30 GMT, "Frank Logullo"
wrote:

===
wrote in message
===news:r9t791hi8ij1rnpmkotbbmmegioutthrv8@4ax. com...
=== I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it
=== right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8"
=== deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is
=== 6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.
===
===I've heard of construction fabrics being put under stone road beds to
===distribute the load. They are probably more rugged than landscape fabric.
===Frank
===

[IMG] code is On

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Landscape fabric under rock driveway? Ian Gardening 14 17-02-2006 03:03 AM
fabric under lakeshore gravel Travis Ponds 7 25-05-2005 11:29 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM