Old 31-05-2005, 01:54 AM
ZuzusPetals

Default Companion Plants for Purple Smokebush

Hi Gang,

Last year I lucked out and bought a 5-gallon container of Continus
"Royal Purple" for 6 bucks on clearance at a local farm store. I
planted it in a large south border, watered only occasionally, and one
year later it's thriving at over 3 ft. with a lovely, even shape and
new growth coming on all the time. I intend to prune it yearly to keep
it at 5 ft.

My question is this: what perennials (and maybe some annuals) would
look good next to this gorgeous shrub? It's bold burgandy color
combined with the wrong plant would be a recipe for disaster, I'm
afraid, and I really want this to be the centerpiece of the border.
FWIW, there's a gold threadleaf Cypress next to it and an Emerald Green
Arborvitae on the other. These are the bones of what I intend to be a
Japanese style border next year.

I was thinking creams, pinks and maybe a bit of chartreuse to pick up
the colors in the Cypress. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 31-05-2005, 02:17 AM

Hakone grass might give you the chartreuse.

Old 31-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Vox Humana

"ZuzusPetals" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ultimately it depends on where you are and the particulars of the spot:
sun, water, soil, etc. When I think of a Japanese garden, I don't think
color as much as texture, shape, and scale. There are many wonderful
heucheras in tones from silver to purple, to chartreuse. Creeping Jenny,
sedum, and some of the more colorful ajugas might be good for ground cover.
There are lovely iris with interesting leaf color and texture. Lady's
mantel might be a choice but I don't know if would fit a Japanese garden.
Maybe you could browse some websites that feature Japanese gardens and take
a trip to a bookstore for some ideas. I would also think about water, or
the illusion of water.

Old 31-05-2005, 07:45 AM
presley

certain hostas would look lovely against a purple smokebush - pull off a
leaf and bring it with you to the nursery and hold it up against the leaves
to see which varieties it looks most attractive next to....
[...]

[IMG] code is On

smokebush buds but that's it Stan Bernstein Gardening 2 07-07-2003 04:57 AM
smokebush buds but that's all... Stan Bernstein United Kingdom 2 05-07-2003 08:54 AM
Companion Plants Jack Ferman Gardening 3 24-06-2003 02:56 AM
Japanese Maple Companion Plants Berob Gardening 3 22-05-2003 05:32 PM
Loropetalum Companion Plants Berob Gardening 1 11-05-2003 02:56 AM