Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Default lilac problem

We have a rather large lilac bush in our yard. Thanks to a severe
winter ice storm, it has become badly misshapened with the branches
bowed out from the center with little in the center.
It badly needs trimmed to try to restore some shape. However, we've
heard that anywhere you cut a lilac, that branch will not grow out from
the place where it was trimmed.
As you can tell, we are at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions will
be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a rather large lilac bush in our yard. Thanks to a severe
winter ice storm, it has become badly misshapened with the branches
bowed out from the center with little in the center.
It badly needs trimmed to try to restore some shape. However, we've
heard that anywhere you cut a lilac, that branch will not grow out from
the place where it was trimmed.
As you can tell, we are at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions will
be appreciated.

To rejuvenate a lilac, you need to cut out 1/4 to 1/3 of the larges branches
each year for 3 or 4 years. Cut them off at the ground.

[IMG] code is On

lilac problem - leaves drop off karaman Gardening 7 01-09-2016 03:54 PM
Lilac Problem Boots Gardening 16 24-05-2005 02:14 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
lilac Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 01-04-2003 02:34 AM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 12:50 AM