Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Need Grass Suggestions for Partial Shade Lawn in Dallas

Hi, I've got a Bermuda grass front lawn and two Bradford Pear trees in
the front have grown now to the point where there is a section of the
lawn between the trees that doesn't get much sunlight so the grass is
VERY thin.

I'd like to plant sod or overseed in that area but it's right in the
middle of the lawn and I don't know what kind of grass to put there.
I've read that St. Augustine grass is great for shade, but won't that
look ugly mixed with the Bermuda?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a grass that will look decent
mixed with Bermuda?

Thanks.

Old 13-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Hound Dog

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I've got a Bermuda grass front lawn and two Bradford Pear trees in
the front have grown now to the point where there is a section of the
lawn between the trees that doesn't get much sunlight so the grass is
VERY thin.

I'd like to plant sod or overseed in that area but it's right in the
middle of the lawn and I don't know what kind of grass to put there.
I've read that St. Augustine grass is great for shade, but won't that
look ugly mixed with the Bermuda?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a grass that will look decent
mixed with Bermuda?

Thanks.

I have the same problem, but with oak trees in both my front and back yards.

I intend to outline the "thin" grass areas with rocks, fill those with good
soil (about an inch or two deep) then broadcast a mixture of shade loving
wild flowers seeds within each area.

I've been advised that wild flower seeds could be a problem due to their
invasiveness, but since I have pre-emergent put down in the fall and again
in the spring, I should be O.K.