Old 16-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Road Runner

Default Sunflowers

I recently bought a potted sunflower from the store. It is different from
the sunflowers I have grown in the past and those were all from seeds. I
have never seen potted sunflowers sold before. I wonder if this is a new
variety and if it will be a perennial instead of an annual. I sure hope
so. The tag on the pot didn't say either way only to water it often and
plant it in the sun. The name on the tag was;
SUNFLOWER Helianthus annus Ballad.
Does the word annus in the name mean that it is an annual?

This variety is different because it has several flowers on the same stem.
Thanks in advance for any and all answers. Sandy

Old 16-06-2005, 08:39 PM
VMWOOD

Check out http://ballseed.com/Media/Culture/PA...thusBallad.pdf
for info on this plant.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 16-06-2005, 08:57 PM
dps

A decorative annual. Really designed for pot culture, so you don't
*have* to plant it, although it might benefit from a larger pot. As far
as I know, Helianthus are all annuals. Heliopsis is sometimes called
false sunflower, and has perennial varieties, but all the ones I've seen
are tall and have small to moderate size (4") flowers. The Ball PDF file
(q.v.) specifies only moderate watering.

I haven't grown that variety (I don't grow the short ones), but the tall
sunflowers come in two types: single flowers and multi-branching. Some
sunflowers will put up a primary flower and then after that is cut will
put up an array of secondary branches with smaller flowers. I suspect
the short ones are the single-flower types.