Old 19-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Evan

Default Ground Support under the fence

We replaced some rotting fence panels and decided to raise the new
fence up off the ground to prevent rot.

The neighbour landscaped their back yard which left the level of their
grass about 8 inches lower than ours. With our raised fence we find
there is nothing retaining the dirt in our yard. I've used some clay
roofing shingles to temporarily bridge the gap under the fence.
Furthermore, we now have a dog who loves to dig under the fence if she
sees a gap.

I'm looking for something esthetically pleasing that I might use to
butt up against the fence to retain our dirt and lawn. The wife is
quite unhappy with the dishevelled look of roof tiles stuck in the
ground under the fence.

We considered railway ties/sleepers, but at =A325 each, we'd need to
spend =A3100 to do the 40 feet length of fence. It'd be nice to find a
cheaper solution.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Evan

Old 19-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Toni

"Evan" wrote in message
I'm looking for something esthetically pleasing that I might use to
butt up against the fence to retain our dirt and lawn. The wife is
quite unhappy with the dishevelled look of roof tiles stuck in the
ground under the fence.

When we had our new fence installed many years ago we had a large gap in
several areas- we have ammended our soil so much that our property is
literally several inches higher than that of several of our neighbors.
This climate has a toad that is poisonous to our dogs, so we took this
opportunity to staple gun a section of hardware cloth about 8" high all
along the bottom of the fence which we partially buried. It keeps the toads
out, holds the soil in place, and eliminated digging but allows for
drainage and air passage. I am ever so happy we did it.

In case "hardware cloth" is called something else in your neck o' the woods-
it is a galvanized metal cloth mesh available in several guages- we used the
¼" square size. We cut it with tin snips and staple gunned it to the fence-
and it is going on 10+ years without failure.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 19-06-2005, 04:22 PM
William Brown

A couple of courses of used bricks might be an economical and attractive
solution.

Evan wrote:
We replaced some rotting fence panels and decided to raise the new
fence up off the ground to prevent rot.

The neighbour landscaped their back yard which left the level of their
grass about 8 inches lower than ours. With our raised fence we find
there is nothing retaining the dirt in our yard. I've used some clay
roofing shingles to temporarily bridge the gap under the fence.
Furthermore, we now have a dog who loves to dig under the fence if she
sees a gap.

I'm looking for something esthetically pleasing that I might use to
butt up against the fence to retain our dirt and lawn. The wife is
quite unhappy with the dishevelled look of roof tiles stuck in the
ground under the fence.

We considered railway ties/sleepers, but at £25 each, we'd need to
spend £100 to do the 40 feet length of fence. It'd be nice to find a
cheaper solution.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Evan

[IMG] code is On

Grass under fence.... Dean Lawns 4 01-05-2006 04:39 AM
metapost or groundmaster fence post support? Carolyn Jean Fairman Gardening 2 11-10-2005 11:07 AM