Old 19-06-2005, 02:16 PM
McJ

Default Spring flowers in Italy

Hi. Does any out there have an idea what type of flowers would
typically be in bloom in Italy in April?

We're producing a community theater version of a play that features an
castle in northern Italy in the spring. There is much dialogue about an
offstage garden being in bloom, and characters walk on carrying flowers
several times. We'd like to be as accurate as reasonably possible but,
so far, haven't been able to ascertain what flower varieties would be
seasonal at that time.

If any of you know, either from your travels or another reliable
source, please chime in. Time is running out and we need to get some
things ordered. Thank you for any assistance.

Old 19-06-2005, 06:15 PM
David Bockman

"McJ" wrote in
ups.com:

Hi. Does any out there have an idea what type of flowers would
typically be in bloom in Italy in April?

We're producing a community theater version of a play that features an
castle in northern Italy in the spring. There is much dialogue about an
offstage garden being in bloom, and characters walk on carrying flowers
several times. We'd like to be as accurate as reasonably possible but,
so far, haven't been able to ascertain what flower varieties would be
seasonal at that time.

If any of you know, either from your travels or another reliable
source, please chime in. Time is running out and we need to get some
things ordered. Thank you for any assistance.

Not to be too anal retentive about it, but a lot would depend upon time
period and the wealth of the garden's owner. What are those?

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 19-06-2005, 11:25 PM
McJ

The time period is 1922 and the owner appears to be relatively affluent,
though probably not filthy rich. Thanks.

JK

"David Bockman" wrote in message
9.11...
"McJ" wrote in
ups.com:

Old 20-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"McJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi. Does any out there have an idea what type of flowers would
typically be in bloom in Italy in April?

We're producing a community theater version of a play that features an
castle in northern Italy in the spring. There is much dialogue about an
offstage garden being in bloom, and characters walk on carrying flowers
several times. We'd like to be as accurate as reasonably possible but,
so far, haven't been able to ascertain what flower varieties would be
seasonal at that time.

If any of you know, either from your travels or another reliable
source, please chime in. Time is running out and we need to get some
things ordered. Thank you for any assistance.

Well, I was in Rome for Easter and there were hanging clusters of purple
flowers on vines everywhere. Common name, too, but I'll be darned if I can
think of it right now. If someone knows, please fill in the blank. I will
remember when I hear it.

Old 20-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Stubby

McJ wrote:
Hi. Does any out there have an idea what type of flowers would
typically be in bloom in Italy in April?

We're producing a community theater version of a play that features an
castle in northern Italy in the spring. There is much dialogue about an
offstage garden being in bloom, and characters walk on carrying flowers
several times. We'd like to be as accurate as reasonably possible but,
so far, haven't been able to ascertain what flower varieties would be
seasonal at that time.

If any of you know, either from your travels or another reliable
source, please chime in. Time is running out and we need to get some
things ordered. Thank you for any assistance.

The Isabella Stuart Garner Museum in Boston is an Italian Palace. It
has 6 floral arrangements during the year. One of these has
nasturtiums trailing from the balconies around the courtyard.
Nastertiums are easy to grow and produce brilliant orange flowers on
bright green folliage. If you look at the pix on
http://www.gardnermuseum.org you'll be able to see a small shot of the
display.

Old 20-06-2005, 03:24 AM
simy1

in the north in april, roses would be king. in the fields, buttercups.

Old 20-06-2005, 09:42 AM
presley

In May I saw many poppies growing in the wheat fields from the train window
in Italy. On wealthy estates there could be camellias and azaleas blooming
in March and April. Ranunculus (Persian buttercups), brilliant colored
anemones, and some other bulbs would probably also still be blooming in
April. I think you could pretty much take the garden flowers grown in
Northern and Central California and find the same in Italian gardens,
because the climates are so similar.
"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...
in the north in april, roses would be king. in the fields, buttercups.

Old 20-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"Rev "Fragile Warrior"" wrote in message

"McJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Wisteria! Ha. I knew I'd remember it eventually. And they were gorgeous,
too.

Giselle