Old 20-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Jim Shaffer

Default help identify these plants

A shrubby thing growing on a shale outcrop across the creek from my
property: http://home.alltel.net/~jmshaffer/img_1907_crop.jpg
It's not on an inhabited plot of land, but I can't find it in any of
my tree or wildflower books.

Then there's this growing between some daylilies. I can't find it in
the wildflower books either:
http://home.alltel.net/~jmshaffer/img_1916_crop.jpg

Old 20-06-2005, 04:02 AM

The first one looks like an azalea, probably a deciduous one if you
took this picture recently. The flower is dead on, with 6 stamens, and
you can see some weevil feeding damage on one of the leaves at the top
left. Not sure on the second one.

Toad

Old 20-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Jim Shaffer

On 19 Jun 2005 20:02:00 -0700, "
wrote:

The first one looks like an azalea, probably a deciduous one if you
took this picture recently.

Thanks, I had no idea such things existed. After a web search, the
best match seems to be Rhododendron arborescens, except that I haven't
detected a scent yet, or Rhododendron viscosum, except that the leaves
are smooth. I wonder if it's some intermediate form?

Old 20-06-2005, 09:50 AM
presley

would you say the second flowers look anything like the pic in the following
URL?:
http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/eprimrose4.html

Old 20-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Jim Shaffer

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:50:41 -0700, "presley"
wrote:

would you say the second flowers look anything like the pic in the following
URL?:
http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/eprimrose4.html

That's what it looks like. Thanks!