Old 21-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Bruce W.1

Default Best material for wicking water?

What's the best material to transport water by wicking? This is in the
interest of automating the watering of plants.

I hung a cotton rope into a glass of water. The water only seems to get
about 4" up the rope from the water line. I haven't tried paper towels
yet (the quicker picker upper).

Is there a definitive winner in this category? What material has the
strongest wicking ability?

Thanks for your help.
Old 21-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Stubby

Bruce W.1 wrote:
What's the best material to transport water by wicking? This is in the
interest of automating the watering of plants.

I hung a cotton rope into a glass of water. The water only seems to get
about 4" up the rope from the water line. I haven't tried paper towels
yet (the quicker picker upper).

Is there a definitive winner in this category? What material has the
strongest wicking ability?

Thanks for your help.

Your rope should work if you wet the whole thing before placing it. It
works by acting as a syphon, so the water source has to be higher than
the destination pot, i.e. the weight of the water on the down side has
to be greater than that on the up side.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the clever arrangement will
empty your whole source bucket fairly quickly! It can make a real mess.
Old 21-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Bruce W.1

Stubby wrote:

Your rope should work if you wet the whole thing before placing it. It
works by acting as a syphon, so the water source has to be higher than
the destination pot, i.e. the weight of the water on the down side has
to be greater than that on the up side.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the clever arrangement will
empty your whole source bucket fairly quickly! It can make a real mess.

My second experiment is being conducted right now. I have two glass
(about one cup each) and sitting at the same level. One cup was full of
water, the other empty. In the last 12 hours the 1/4" cotton rope has
transported -- roughly -- 1/3 of the water.

Yes an aquarium tube would be very fast, but that's a siphon.

I suspect that a thicker cotton rope would work faster. But is there a
material, other than cotton, that would increase the flow rate?

Old 21-06-2005, 09:54 PM
DigitalVinyl

================================================= ===

My second experiment is being conducted right now. I have two glass
(about one cup each) and sitting at the same level. One cup was full of
water, the other empty. In the last 12 hours the 1/4" cotton rope has
transported -- roughly -- 1/3 of the water.

Yes an aquarium tube would be very fast, but that's a siphon.

I suspect that a thicker cotton rope would work faster. But is there a
material, other than cotton, that would increase the flow rate?

Interesting experiment, but if this is exposed to the outside I wonder
if the sun and dryness of the open air will affect the amount of water
that makes it to the plant. On a hot day I could see the exposed wick
drying out and cutting off the target
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Bruce W.1

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Interesting experiment, but if this is exposed to the outside I wonder
if the sun and dryness of the open air will affect the amount of water
that makes it to the plant. On a hot day I could see the exposed wick
drying out and cutting off the target
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Here's someone that waters plants with wicking:
http://www.davs.org/dixienews.html

I've also found indications that synthetic fibers, like nylon and
polypro, offer better wicking action than cotton.