Old 21-06-2005, 05:01 PM
TomKan

Default Mars/Earth encounter isn't happening.

I keep getting this Mars/Earth encounter email for August 2005.
It ain't gonna happen!!

This encounter happened two years ago.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/au...ars_earth_get/

But there will be a close encounter in October, but nothing rivaling
the one of two years ago.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...achingmars.htm

Old 22-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Kenny

TomKan wrote:
I keep getting this Mars/Earth encounter email for August 2005.
It ain't gonna happen!!

This encounter happened two years ago.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/au...ars_earth_get/

But there will be a close encounter in October, but nothing rivaling
the one of two years ago.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...achingmars.htm

What do ya mean "it aint gonna happen"?

Kenny

Old 22-06-2005, 12:54 PM
TomKan

What do ya mean "it aint gonna happen"?

Kenny

____Reply Separator_____

Did you go to the sites?? Apparently not, or you would have known that
it happened in August of 2003.

Old 23-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Kenny

Yeah, I went to the site and quickly read thru it. I must have missed
something though. Are you implying that the event they are talking
about was the one that ocurred in 2003 and that this one is the same
event, that they got thier dates wrong?

Kenny

Old 23-06-2005, 02:36 PM
TomKan

Yes, the celestial event that everyone is promoting for this August is
the one that happened in 2003. This two year old email is being
recirculated again as being current.
The date of closest approach this year is October 31, although actual
date of opposition is November 7th.
This is 26 months AFTER the super-close approach of August 27, 2003.
So Mars will be very nice from about 15 Oct until 15 November, this
year.
(And again 26 months later in January/February 2008.)

Old 24-06-2005, 07:45 AM
nosaer rekees

What a riot. I am not sure if its funny or scary. Hmmmm

Kenny

Old 29-06-2005, 07:16 AM
nosaer rekees

TomKan wrote:
Yes, the celestial event that everyone is promoting for this August is
the one that happened in 2003. This two year old email is being
recirculated again as being current.
The date of closest approach this year is October 31, although actual
date of opposition is November 7th.
This is 26 months AFTER the super-close approach of August 27, 2003.
So Mars will be very nice from about 15 Oct until 15 November, this
year.
(And again 26 months later in January/February 2008.)

Not that it is your responsibility, but has anyone notified the source
or writer of the article?

Kenny

Old 29-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Starlord

The first and wrong info is making the rounds over the net and all they did
was copy the hype from the 03 media hype and repeat it in their postings.
It's far easyer to copy old hype and repeat it that to find out about what
is really going to be going on.

As it is, my 8inch F8 Dobsonian "Babylon 8" will be in full useage during
that time.

oups.com...