Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default blood chilling encounter!

Well, histrionics aside, I must say my adrenaline has got pumping. Was
just out to, er, fertilize the edge of the field before turning in, and
a great snorting and barking started perhaps 20m away. Couldn't see
anything in spite of the bright moon, but it certainly interrupted
programmed activities! I ran back to the door and sent the dog out,
he enthusiastically ran in the wrong direction. The beasts took off
into the woods to the north side, and were well away when dog came back.
He made a stab that way and I heard another one canter off back the
other way.

Stirs the blood proper... the boar here in Normandy are too hunted (and
too smart) to get very aggressive, but instinct says otherwise!

-E
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2012 09:17 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 01:35:58 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

Well, histrionics aside, I must say my adrenaline has got pumping. Was
just out to, er, fertilize the edge of the field before turning in, and
a great snorting and barking started perhaps 20m away. Couldn't see
anything in spite of the bright moon, but it certainly interrupted
programmed activities! I ran back to the door and sent the dog out,
he enthusiastically ran in the wrong direction. The beasts took off
into the woods to the north side, and were well away when dog came back.
He made a stab that way and I heard another one canter off back the
other way.

Stirs the blood proper... the boar here in Normandy are too hunted (and
too smart) to get very aggressive, but instinct says otherwise!

Twenty years ago we were charged by a boar that appeared from out of a
corn field between Toulouse and Carcassonne. We had stopped to help
two teenagers who had had a car accident. We just beat it to our car.
It chased us down the road for some distance. It was completely
unprovoked.

Yikes. It chased your car?! That thing was completely mad.

I believe that the one danger is with the Mamas, which will protect the
young at any cost. Where I heard it is actually a regular run, we
sometimes see them early in the morning from the bedroom window, running
past with a handful of marcassins. I think it's a bit early for that
though. I guess this was probably a group of young males, too
inexperienced to avoid the lights.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2012 00:35, Emery Davis wrote:
Well, histrionics aside, I must say my adrenaline has got pumping. Was
just out to, er, fertilize the edge of the field before turning in, and
a great snorting and barking started perhaps 20m away. Couldn't see
anything in spite of the bright moon, but it certainly interrupted
programmed activities! I ran back to the door and sent the dog out,
he enthusiastically ran in the wrong direction. The beasts took off
into the woods to the north side, and were well away when dog came back.
He made a stab that way and I heard another one canter off back the
other way.

Stirs the blood proper... the boar here in Normandy are too hunted (and
too smart) to get very aggressive, but instinct says otherwise!

-E

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:

That is very worrying. Here in Shropshire I had never heard talk of any
wild boars until last week. My son was walking in the woods near to us
early in the morning when he came face to face with one. Fortunately it
seemed more frightened of him than vice-versa and ran away. Apparently
they are now becoming quite common in some areas of England.

What we need are some predators that can deal with them - restore
the Eurasian lion! Despite the occasional incident, species
Sus scrofa isn't very dangerous - the one to watch out for is
Sus viae! Much more common and much more lethal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2012 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...

Sorry, Emery, not appropriately equipped! For that very reason, I don't
annoint the compost heap;~). The other reason is that the compost heaps
are in full view.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2012 18:11, Spider wrote:
On 02/06/2012 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...

Sorry, Emery, not appropriately equipped! For that very reason, I don't
annoint the compost heap;~). The other reason is that the compost heaps
are in full view.

I'd have thought all that hullabaloo would have made it hard not to pee.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 18:11:07 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 02/06/2012 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...

Sorry, Emery, not appropriately equipped! For that very reason, I don't
annoint the compost heap;~). The other reason is that the compost heaps
are in full view.

Provide RG with a bucket, dear Spider (preferably without a hole in
it).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:

That is very worrying. Here in Shropshire I had never heard talk of any
wild boars until last week. My son was walking in the woods near to us
early in the morning when he came face to face with one. Fortunately it
seemed more frightened of him than vice-versa and ran away. Apparently
they are now becoming quite common in some areas of England.

What we need are some predators that can deal with them - restore
the Eurasian lion! Despite the occasional incident, species
Sus scrofa isn't very dangerous - the one to watch out for is
Sus viae! Much more common and much more lethal.

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean 'road hogs'?

What ignorance? Yes :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2012 19:40, Jake wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 18:11:07 +0100, wrote:

On 02/06/2012 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...

Sorry, Emery, not appropriately equipped! For that very reason, I don't
annoint the compost heap;~). The other reason is that the compost heaps
are in full view.

Provide RG with a bucket, dear Spider (preferably without a hole in
it).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

It may come to that .. we're having plumbing problems at the moment :~(.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Well, histrionics aside, I must say my adrenaline has got pumping. Was
just out to, er, fertilize the edge of the field before turning in, and
a great snorting and barking started perhaps 20m away. Couldn't see
anything in spite of the bright moon, but it certainly interrupted
programmed activities! I ran back to the door and sent the dog out,
he enthusiastically ran in the wrong direction. The beasts took off
into the woods to the north side, and were well away when dog came back.
He made a stab that way and I heard another one canter off back the
other way.

Stirs the blood proper... the boar here in Normandy are too hunted (and
too smart) to get very aggressive, but instinct says otherwise!

-E

When I visited my friend in rural Lower Saxony, I thought I was quite keen
to see some wild boar so we sat beside a pond in the gathering dusk watching
bats swooping over the water. It was the height of summer, idyllic.
Until I heard the definite sounds of wild boar approaching probably to drink
at the pond and then I was up and away hightailing it back to the house 1/4
mile away. Instinct kicked in, Emery, like you say.
They are very common there. Almost every field has a high wooden tower so
they can be shot from it, especially the potato fields. It's a very rural
area, there is not much other work available other than farming so the boar
are a real nuisance uprooting the crops.
There's quite a lot of forest everywhere there, and the boar come out during
the night into the fields that people are trying to scratch a living from.
So, I was too wimpy to see one..I really did want to but something in my
psyche said "you are out in the countryside with nothing to protect you,
with wild boar coming. Run!"
So I did.
Tina

Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds fairynuff to me

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2012 08:02 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 02/06/2012 18:11, Spider wrote:
On 02/06/2012 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/02/2012 03:11 PM, Spider wrote:
[]

Well, if you will mark the edge of their territory with male urine! ;~)
Glad you escaped unscathed, though.

The problem was that I was no longer able to leave mark at all! You
try peeing with all of that hullaballoo...

Sorry, Emery, not appropriately equipped! For that very reason, I don't
annoint the compost heap;~). The other reason is that the compost heaps
are in full view.

I'd have thought all that hullabaloo would have made it hard not to pee.

Well I suppose some let loose, some clench up. I am apparently in the
latter camp...

(one 'l' in hullabaloo, noted with proper respect.)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Well, histrionics aside, I must say my adrenaline has got pumping. Was
just out to, er, fertilize the edge of the field before turning in, and
a great snorting and barking started perhaps 20m away. Couldn't see
anything in spite of the bright moon, but it certainly interrupted
programmed activities! I ran back to the door and sent the dog out,
he enthusiastically ran in the wrong direction. The beasts took off
into the woods to the north side, and were well away when dog came back.
He made a stab that way and I heard another one canter off back the
other way.

Stirs the blood proper... the boar here in Normandy are too hunted (and
too smart) to get very aggressive, but instinct says otherwise!

Interesting info about British populations ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.