Old 24-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Mike

Default Minnesota Hedge

List,

I have been an occasional lurker on this group, but now have a
question. I have been looking for a good hedge plant for Rochester, MN
(zone 4), but every time I think I have figured a good plant I discover
a reason why it won't work. First, I am looking for an evergreen to
block the wind in winter in addition to providing privacy and form in
the warmer months. I considered Japanese Yew but I also have a deer
problem and understand it would be a constant battle. I also
considered Juniper but I have apple trees and understand Juniper is a
secondary host for an apple rust. I even considered barberry, I
believe, but understand it can be invasive.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an evergreen hedge plant for
zone 4 that is ok with apples and cherries, will provide a good wind
block at about 6-8 feet high, and that the deer will not devour?

Thanks much in advance,

Mike

Old 24-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Travis

Mike wrote:
[...]

Look for something native that the deer don't eat.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 24-06-2005, 12:37 PM
David Bockman

"Mike" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Mike,

Consider an old school choice, Maclura pomifera (Bodark, Bois d'arc, Osage-
orange, also called Hedge-apple). While it is not a glamorous choice, it's
not without its charm and will certainly make an effective, impenetrable
hedgerow over time.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 24-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Mike

Hi David and Travis,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll explore them both online and with my local
nursery. Any other ideas worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Mike