Old 24-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Gntry

Default weeping fig/cherry

Hi,
Can anyone tell me about their experiences with either a weeping fig/cherry?
I'm considering putting one in my front yard and I know nothing about them.
I love the way they look.
I live in NY near Lake Erie(Buffalo area) not sure what zone though.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
CG in NY

Old 24-06-2005, 07:13 PM
David Bockman

"Gntry" wrote in :

Hi,
Can anyone tell me about their experiences with either a weeping
fig/cherry? I'm considering putting one in my front yard and I know
nothing about them. I love the way they look.
I live in NY near Lake Erie(Buffalo area) not sure what zone though.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
CG in NY

Here are my notes on Prunus subhirtella, var. pendula. These trees are
rarely seen as species, and are usually grafted onto 6' tall understocks
(blech):

Graceful weeping habit gives distinction to any landscape. This beautiful
tree always elicits oohs and aahs.. Branches weep to ground. Often grafted
on 6' understock, but best form if grown on own roots (altho these are hard
to find.). 20-40' high x 15 -30'+spread, eventually becoming quite broad
and graceful with age. Dirr likens this beautiful weeper to "…a poor man's
weeping birch" and "… they offer the garden a sublime quality unavailable
with other ornamental trees. Fast growth means you get a graceful specimen
in 5 - 10 years or so.

Flowers: white or pink, 1/2 - 3/4"diam. before leaves in April, lasting 10
days to 2 wks. Buds begin a deep pink and then open to soft pink flowers
that gradually fade to nearly white. The blooms of the double pink form,
'Plena Rosea' lasts longer usually about 3 weeks and remain a deeper pink.
Absolutely romantic and stunning in full bloom.

When you can find them growing on their own roots, they are superb trees.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[IMG] code is On

weeping cherry Frank Gardening 0 06-11-2004 08:36 PM
Please help - Weeping Fig dropping leaves Shannon Gardening 0 08-04-2004 03:02 PM
Please help - Weeping Fig dropping leaves Cereus-validus Gardening 5 06-04-2004 08:52 PM
When to trim back Weeping Cherry tree? Timothy Lawns 0 28-03-2004 07:42 PM
weeping fig jo Plant Biology 0 27-04-2003 10:56 PM