Old 08-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Shannon

Default Please help - Weeping Fig dropping leaves

Hi there,

I've been searching old posts, and this seems to be a common problem, but
I've yet to read an answer that corresponds exactly to my situation.

I purchased a weeping fig about 3 weeks ago. Plant itself is approx. 2 feet
high, and is composed of 4 stems (?) braided together with the leaves
bunched on top. The garden center warned me at the time that the plant
would drop a lot of leaves when I *first* brought it home. They said I
should water the plant every two days, but that it requires *lots* of
misting. At the time of purchase, it was in a 6" diameter plastic pot.
They said I did not have to re-pot it.

Two weeks ago, I did re-pot the plant into a ceramic, 8" diameter planter.
It sits in a bright area of the house, but not in direct sunlight, in a warm
room. I have watered the plant faithfully every second day, and I mist it
all the time (5-6 times a day). But it is still dropping leaves -
approximately 10 per day. The leaves are dried up and shriveled when they
fall - I don't think there is a problem with pests. Is this normal? Is it
just the time of year? Or am I giving it too much water/misting? How much
water should I give it every second day and how much misting. Should I
fertilize the plant...if so, with what? I truly love this fig, and I want
to keep it healthy for a long time. I can't tell if new leaves are growing
in replacement of the dropping ones...the plant looks as beautiful to me as
the day I brought it home, but I just wanted some other opinions.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I am a complete neophyte when
it comes to gardening or caring for plants, so any and all information would
certainly be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Shannon

[IMG] code is On

weeping fig/cherry Gntry Gardening 1 24-06-2005 07:13 PM
Weeping willow dropping yellow leaves Curly Sue Gardening 3 06-07-2004 04:02 AM
Please help - Weeping Fig dropping leaves Cereus-validus Gardening 5 06-04-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Old age in leaves (was: [IBC] willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-03-2004 04:41 PM
weeping fig jo Plant Biology 0 27-04-2003 10:56 PM