Old 27-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Pest identification?

I'm a novice gardener, and this year I find that my garden seems to
have attracted a lot of troublesome insects. Does anyone know a web
site where I can see examples of pest damage, so I can identify the
culprits?

Right now, something is cutting little half-inch tears all over the
foliage of my coral bells, coleus, and just about everything else with
big, tender leaves. I'm not interested in using poisons, so if anyone
knows what could be causing this and if there is an effective,
'natural' way to stop it, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Old 27-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a novice gardener, and this year I find that my garden seems to
have attracted a lot of troublesome insects. Does anyone know a web
site where I can see examples of pest damage, so I can identify the
culprits?

Right now, something is cutting little half-inch tears all over the
foliage of my coral bells, coleus, and just about everything else with
big, tender leaves. I'm not interested in using poisons, so if anyone
knows what could be causing this and if there is an effective,
'natural' way to stop it, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

While you're investigating your bugs, try rinsing the bottoms & tops of
leaves with a water spray. Some pests are only around for a very short time
each season. Sometimes all it takes is to dislodge them from their snacks
for a few days using water, and the trouble passes. Focus on the most
vulnerable plants first.

For low-growing plants (and watering in general), this is a cool thing to
have:
http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=18

Another option is to brew some hot pepper spray. Simmer red pepper flakes
until the water smells nasty. Pour through a strainer and spray the plants.
4-5 ounces of flakes to 2 gallons of water is about right.

Old 27-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Bob Seaman

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

--

www.bobsbunker.com
SEPS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS

oups.com...

Old 27-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Toni

wrote in message
oups.com...

Right now, something is cutting little half-inch tears all over the
foliage of my coral bells, coleus, and just about everything else with
big, tender leaves. I'm not interested in using poisons, so if anyone
knows what could be causing this and if there is an effective,
'natural' way to stop it, I'd appreciate any advice.

First thing I would do is get out there during the dark with a flashlight
and see what's crawling around on the leaves.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 27-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Will do....I shall do some investigating tonight and report back...

Thanks!
Carol
(Northern NJ, zone 6)

Old 27-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Doug Kanter

Nice site, but I don't see any recipes. Is there a generic marinade for
things like tomato hornworms?

"Bob Seaman" wrote in message
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

--

www.bobsbunker.com
SEPS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS
("Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever")
Death Before Dishonor
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine

oups.com...

Old 27-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Bert Byfield

Nice site, but I don't see any recipes. Is there a generic marinade for
things like tomato hornworms?

If you have any chickens around, they will eat them as they are.

Old 28-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Well, I went out at 11pm and looked under the leaves...the problem is a
small white insect with smallish wings and long antennae. Some of them
were very small, and one was maybe 1/4 inch long.

I am going to look on the web to see if I can identify it. Any ideas?

Carol

Old 28-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Bob Seaman

Spray them with soap and water

--

www.bobsbunker.com
SEPS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS
("Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever")
Death Before Dishonor
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a novice gardener, and this year I find that my garden seems to
have attracted a lot of troublesome insects. Does anyone know a web
site where I can see examples of pest damage, so I can identify the
culprits?

Right now, something is cutting little half-inch tears all over the
foliage of my coral bells, coleus, and just about everything else with
big, tender leaves. I'm not interested in using poisons, so if anyone
knows what could be causing this and if there is an effective,
'natural' way to stop it, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

[IMG] code is On

Insects thrive on GM 'pest-killing' crops [email protected] sci.agriculture 13 08-04-2003 08:20 AM
Pest control with a pond EJ Ponds 4 31-03-2003 06:56 PM
pest control Joseph Amil Orchids 1 30-03-2003 02:20 PM
Camellia Pest John Hutchison United Kingdom 1 25-03-2003 08:56 PM
[IBC] Pest Management. Was [IBC] Scale Help Jerry Meislik Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 04:56 PM