Old 29-06-2005, 01:05 AM

Default What plants scare you the most and why ?

Even though you may admire still them, what plants (that you've either
seen, or so far just read about) 'scare' you the most (however you
define that) and please say why, for any one/s named ?

Old 29-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:05:43 -0700, cyan999 wrote:

Even though you may admire still them, what plants (that you've either
seen, or so far just read about) 'scare' you the most (however you define
that) and please say why, for any one/s named ?

Heracleum lanatum
http://ywgc.com/resources/faq/cowparsnip.html

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://ywgc.com/resources.html
Old 29-06-2005, 07:02 AM

Timothy wrote in message news:1120008872.99aae12f89a0984d87686f3fb4199c06@ teranews...
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:05:43 -0700, cyan999 wrote:

Even though you may admire still them, what plants (that you've either
seen, or so far just read about) 'scare' you the most (however you define
that) and please say why, for any one/s named ?

The North American Satan Bush!
this is truly an evil Bush totally obnoxious and highly invasive, a
threat to all life on earth!
Old 30-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Gary

Venus Fly Trap - definitely!
Jeff Goldblum

Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Salty Thumb

"Gary" wrote in
ups.com:

Venus Fly Trap - definitely!
Jeff Goldblum

There is the lesser known Pinus Fly Trap. Used to discourage things
from urinating on your property. Make sure all zippers are closed
before handling. It's not called the Lorena Bobbit plant for nothing.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Darren Garrison

Desmodium gyrans. Because plants that dance are creepy.

http://www.kirjon.com/dancing_plant.htm
http://www.yohea.com/dancing.shtml

Old 30-06-2005, 05:57 PM
raycruzer

In my neighborhood of N.E. Los Angeles (Mt. Washington), the tree of
heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is rapdily encroaching on vacant hillsides
on both sides of my property and attempting to invade my own garden, as
well. Left unattended in a neighboring lot, this weedy tree has
already created a little thicket of about a dozen trees now reaching
over 30 feet tall.

The hillsides of Highland Park and Eagle Rock are spotted with these
pesty plants and it's a nightmare to think what these rolling hills
will look like 10 years from now if we don't somehow directly attack
their progress.

The California Invasive Plant Council has listed this species as one of
the Most Invasive Wildland Pest Plants and Widespread. Any suggestions
on how to restrain or destroy these heavenly devils will be
appreciated.

EWIRM: Know your weeds to control your weeds...

Old 30-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Travis

raycruzer wrote:
[...]

Why don't you ask the California Invasive Plant Council what to do.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 30-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Stephen Henning

In the Southeast, kudzoo [Pueraria montana] can cover your house and
trees if you don't fight it back.

Here in the Northeast and Oregon, the mile-a-minute plant [Polygonum
perfoliatum] will cover you if you don't walk fast enough. In reality
it will cover and kill other plants. It looks like a wild squash vine,
really wild. It is called the kudzoo of the Northeast.

Some bamboo is known to grow at a rate of 91 cm per day. It is more fun
than watching grass grow.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Travis

Stephen Henning wrote:
In the Southeast, kudzoo [Pueraria montana] can cover your house and
trees if you don't fight it back.

Here in the Northeast and Oregon, the mile-a-minute plant [Polygonum
perfoliatum] will cover you if you don't walk fast enough. In
reality it will cover and kill other plants. It looks like a wild
squash vine, really wild. It is called the kudzoo of the Northeast.

Some bamboo is known to grow at a rate of 91 cm per day. It is
more fun than watching grass grow.

Bamboo is a grass.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

raycruzer said:

In my neighborhood of N.E. Los Angeles (Mt. Washington), the tree of
heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is rapdily encroaching on vacant hillsides
on both sides of my property and attempting to invade my own garden, as
well.

snip

Any suggestions
on how to restrain or destroy these heavenly devils will be
appreciated.

Cut them down and swab the stump with brush killer.
Even then, be on the lookout for sprouts from distant roots.

This plant aggressively resprouts from any bit of root. And I've had
apparently dead stumps send up shoots after a whole year of inactivity
(however impossible that seems, I swear it happened).

The seedlings grow deceptively slowly the first year. All their energy
seems to go to producing a massive root system.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-07-2005, 06:39 PM
raycruzer

Thanks to Pat and Travis for your suggestions. You have given me the
motivation to communicate with local neighborhood groups to deal with
the tree of heaven in an organized fashion.

Yesterday I also noticed a number of these trees growing in the freeway
landscaping near downtown Los Angeles. I spotted over 100 young
A.altissimas in only one quarter mile stretch of the freeway.
CalTrans also needs to take notice of this rapid infestation of the
tree of heaven.

_____
Talk about weeds: World of Weeds www.ergonica.com
Nature makes plants, humans make weeds.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 AM
presley

In North Florida, the common version of smilax (greenbriar) is a nasty
thorny thing that will swing 20 feet across a path through long-leaf pine
forest to snag the unwary walker with fierce scratches along bare arms and
legs.
Throughout the Northwest and inland west, knapweed, a particularly ugly
centaurea (plants related to bachelor buttons) appears to spread into every
bare patch of earth, and eventually shoves asides all attractive and hardy
natives to make way for its ugly gray-green leaves and spiny dull-purple
flowers. I own an empty lot on the outskirts of town, and I fear inspecting
it to see the extent to which knapweed has taken it over.
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from DrLith contains these words:

wrote:
Even though you may admire still them, what plants (that you've either
seen, or so far just read about) 'scare' you the most (however you
define that) and please say why, for any one/s named ?

I'm scared of poison ivy for the obvious reasons. And giant hogweed just
frightens the bejeebus out of me. (Heracleum mantegazzianum)

Get a life, both of you. Normal people are not scared or frightened
of plants.

Janet.

[IMG] code is On

What plants you've seen or read about, scare you the most and why ? Joe Gardening 3 29-06-2005 08:59 PM
How to scare away cats.. an answer? Cristian Croitoru Australia 6 02-02-2004 04:02 AM
Scare Crows - Effective? Nedra Ponds 9 16-06-2003 11:08 PM
fake snake to scare away birds? Doctoroe Gardening 12 23-05-2003 03:32 PM
I don't want to scare the frogs... Andrea Ponds 1 29-03-2003 02:44 PM