Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nedra

Default Scare Crows - Effective?

I'd like to know if the ScareCrow is effective against birds?
If yes, How Long does it remain effective?

Nedra

Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
joe

Nedra wrote:

I'd like to know if the ScareCrow is effective against birds?
If yes, How Long does it remain effective?

Let me tell you my tale.

About three weeks after having put in our pond last year, we were sitting on
the patio next to it, enjoying a margarita. My SO's eyes suddenly doubled in
diameter, and before I could ask what was wrong, a giant bird flew by us not
three feet away. It landed in the canyon next to us and stood there, eyeing
us, for about a half an hour. Heron. Huge - amazing. We ordered a scarecrow
the same day.

Before it arrived we saw the bird a few more times. I work at home so I was
always able to chase him off, although what I would have done if he didn't
fly away always sat in the back of my mind. Anyway, scarecrow arrived and
was installed.

It seemed to be pretty effective. Didn't lose a fish although we did get wet
on occasion when we forgot to turn it off.

A few months later, we were out of town. Our house sitter called and said
the scarecrow wasn't working right. I had him replace the battery. By the
time we returned we had lost 3 Koi. It didn't need batteries. I took it
apart and cleaned it. It worked fine again for a month.

Bought more Koi.

The scarecrow started to go off, then not turn off. Fearing a flood we
turned it off. A visit to the web site said that some units had bad
solenoids and they would replace them. So I emailed them at the address
provided and waited. Nothing came. Mean while, all Koi were gone. There
weren't that many, nor were they large or expensive, but they were mine damn
it.

I called them. They seemed surprised they didn't get the email. They mailed
me the part and I repaired it. Now seems to work fine, although we have
pretty much decided that we'll just keep goldfish and let the heron be our
population control.

In short, I'd say they work fine - as long as they are working. Perhaps
having two would be a better solution.

Joe

Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Nedra

How Sad ... am sorry you lost fish, especially koi.
A fellow in my pond club wants to know the success
rate of ScareCrows ... I will tell your story

Nedra

Old 09-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Steve J. Noll

I lost a Koi to a Heron a couple months ago. Then installed
a Scarecrow. Haven't lost one since. Of course, I can't say
if a Heron since attempted to get another fish, or not.

FYI: I've been working on a web pond supply dealer directory
and in the course of that noted how much each charged for
a Scarecrow. Prices range from $55 to $130, so shop around
if you decide to go for one!

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:55:46 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

I'd like to know if the ScareCrow is effective against birds?
If yes, How Long does it remain effective?

Nedra

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 09-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Nedra

Thanks a million! Just the news I have been looking for

Nedra

Old 14-06-2003, 04:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I've had my scarecrow since I got hit early Summer of 2001 by a raccoon, no
more raccoon problems after that. I had the scarecrow on a water timer that
came on at 8:30-9pm and off at 9am. Then I stared eye-to-eye with a heron
on my roof at noon, so now it's on 24/7. I have a note on the door that
says "Sprinkler?" Going in an out of the door, so I don't forget to turn it
off or on when I enter or leave the area. No fish loses here, can't say if
heron has tried to land or not.

I am getting a 2nd SC after hearing about the solenoid problem, I will use
it on the lily pond, in the meantime, to keep the robins from pulling up my
ground covers.Dang Birds ~ jan

I'd like to know if the ScareCrow is effective against birds?
If yes, How Long does it remain effective?

Nedra

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Steve J. Noll

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:09:01 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Who has it for $55? ~ jan

$55:

Pondbiz.com, Woodland Hills CA
(Also has the optional mounting bracket.)

ForYourFish.com, Long Island City NY

$59:

Adams Aquatics, Diana TX
Koi Village, Bulls Gap TN
Unit Liner, Shawnee OK

$60:

123Ponds, Margate FL
Bestpondstuff.com, OK
ePonds.com, Saginaw MI
Pond Pets USA, Valencia CA
PondRX, Culberson, NC

For web URLs, email addresses, and phone numbers
see http://www.kissingfrogs.tv/ponddirectory.html

Old 14-06-2003, 06:32 PM
sparklingblue

Or K&M Industries for $53.95:

http://www.km01.com/index.html

Sparklingblue

Old 16-06-2003, 11:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Or K&M Industries for $53.95:
http://www.km01.com/index.html
Sparklingblue

Wow! With shipping that had the best price.

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
$55:
Pondbiz.com, Woodland Hills CA
(Also has the optional mounting bracket.)

This one had a lot of other cool ponding supplies. Unfortunately their
shippping was almost double the one above. Plus, the last time I ordered
something for CA I got an additional "out of state" charge. Has anyone else
ever noticed that?

Thanks for the rest of the sites, amazing how many ponding businesses are
opening up and getting website. Very cool for us ponders. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

[IBC] Cicada Scare Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 15-05-2004 08:08 PM
How to scare away cats.. an answer? Cristian Croitoru Australia 6 02-02-2004 04:02 AM
Scare crow Question Bonnie Ponds 1 22-11-2003 05:22 PM
fake snake to scare away birds? Doctoroe Gardening 12 23-05-2003 03:32 PM
I don't want to scare the frogs... Andrea Ponds 1 29-03-2003 02:44 PM