Old 13-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Cristian Croitoru

Default How to scare away cats.. an answer?

There was a question a while ago he
how to stop cats using the soil around the flowers as litter box?

I have a neighbour with a roaming (!) cat. This cat, for a reason, loves one
particular chairs on my porch and over night takes (I presume) great
pleasure in using it. I like cats but I don't like cats' fur and hairs and
that chair is full of it, regardless how often I clean it. Nothing worked in
convincing the cat to stop using my propriety.

So I modified a water computer with a humidity sensor to use an infrared
light beam barrier as cat detector. a small sprinkler well oriented did the
job, for a few nights I could hear the electrovalve kicking in, a cattish
spitting noise and the sound of the furry thing clearing the space. Worked
like a charm.

So I can see no reason why you can't use a similar solution for your flower
beds..

Good luck

Old 14-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Martin Field

We currently have a Fox Terrier for adoption that hates cats????

Martin Field
Pound Pets
www.poundpets.com.au

Donations greatfully accepted (especially this time of year).

Old 14-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Jock

Or,
Just use the IR detector to actuate a solenoid connected to a full choke 12
gauge shotty's trigger Make sure it's pointing at the detected area.
I reckon the cat would go one way or another.
Jock

Old 14-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Cristian Croitoru

You missed the part "I like cats but.." :-)

You can use a PIR detector in conjunction with an electrovalve + a
sprinkler.. particularly when the group is called aus.gardens.. and you
don't need to clean the mess afterwards or explain to the owner why are you
bringing the cat (leftovers) in a bag :-) :-) :-)

Old 15-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Chris Bee

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:31:31 GMT,"Cristian Croitoru" posted ...

You missed the part "I like cats but.." :-)

I also missed that bit and I had to read your original message again.

In my State of Victoria, Dogs & Cats aren't allowed to roam and many
Councils provide traps to collect roaming animals. In my Suburb the Lost
Dog's Home has been engaged by the Local Council to supply traps and
restrict the number of straying animals.

One of my neighbours had an annoying barking Jack Russell that was
allowed to roam. The Jack Russell checked out my Cat Trap and was
collected and probably despatched by the Lost Dog's Home.
--

Chris

Old 30-01-2004, 07:16 AM
China

G'day,
Martin, if you are anywhere near Wingham, I'll have the dog.

Cristian, it might not be the perfect sollution, but Earth cats
are usually pretty easy. For starters you have to let the cat know it is not
welcome anywhere or anytime in your yard, (hissing , chasing, loud
clapping, throwing things, practising that 'Headmasters voice' , etc), You
can't be friendly with the cat in one circumstance, and then expect it to
stay out of your yard the next . Dogs are a good solution but they can bring
their own problems. Failing that then place mothsballs around the places you
want them to avoid or where they enter your garden, (If you can't place
whole 'balls' then crush them up with a hammer and put some dust around).
Considering how cheap mothsballs (napthaline) is, I can't imagine how they
farm and harvest them, but any animal with the nasal sensitivity of cats and
dogs simply finds them to painfull to stay anywhere near. Our (preferably
male) urine can be used to stake out your territory, (which is exactly what
your problem cat is doing), but if you ain't careful, the neighbours will
be talking about you. They basic rule is that any time you see the cat you
must act aggressive towards it. I love cats, but the simple fact of the
matter is they are an environmental disaster, killing all your small
reptiles and any bird they can, thus destroying most of your natural garden
pest controlling species. I grew up with 'mousers', but as good company as
they were, I will never own a cat again (as if anyone ever owned a cat, we
just were given the privilege of petting \ feeding them.).

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 02-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Martin Field

hahah - the dog has gone to a possum and cat free home.

Although they will see him in action anytime they start something that moves
and makes a noise - vacuum, mower, whipper snipper, power drill, hose.

Makes weekends a pain in the arse.

"China" wrote in message
[...]

[IBC] Cicada Scare Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 15-05-2004 08:08 PM
Scare crow Question Bonnie Ponds 1 22-11-2003 05:22 PM
Scare Crows - Effective? Nedra Ponds 9 16-06-2003 11:08 PM
fake snake to scare away birds? Doctoroe Gardening 12 23-05-2003 03:32 PM
I don't want to scare the frogs... Andrea Ponds 1 29-03-2003 02:44 PM