Old 30-06-2005, 10:38 AM
nad nad is offline
Registered User

Default Pergola, containers and Jasmine

Hi,
I'm new to gardening and would like some advice as to how plant a climber on my pergola.

I have bought 4, 50cm pot containers, 2 Jasminum Sambac plants and 2 Wisteria Floribuda "Black Dragon" plants. I intend to put a plant at each post of the pergola. I have never seen this done and I would like some advice as to how to proceed before I waste all the money I have spent. Any advice as to how to attach to pergola, type of soil to use - any tips advice will be useful as I am new to this.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanking you,
Nadine
Old 14-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...

I'm new to gardening and would like some advice as to how plant a
climber on my pergola.

I have bought 4, 50cm pot containers, 2 Jasminum Sambac plants and 2
Wisteria Floribuda "Black Dragon" plants. I intend to put a plant at
each post of the pergola. I have never seen this done and I would like
some advice as to how to proceed before I waste all the money I have
spent. Any advice as to how to attach to pergola, type of soil to use -
any tips advice will be useful as I am new to this.

Vines can get pretty stupid and not climb where they should, instead
reaching out for another thing to climb on when they're wrapped around a
perfectly good post that will get them up into the canopy. I take an
old cotton T-shirt and rip it into little strips of cloth. When the
vine does something stupid, I manually wrap the vine around the post and
tie it up with a strip. Once it gets to the top and establishes itself
onto the post I can untie the strip of cloth and use it somewhere else.
I heard old nylons are supposed to be better but I don't have any of
those. :-)

Another technique I'm trying this year is hanging rope down from the
pergola's beams and tying it down at the bottom. The vines love the
rope since it's much thinner and they seem to want to climb that. All
my vines are in containers too and they're strategically placed by the
posts so the vines don't have to go far to find something to climb on.

[IMG] code is On

cost of installing pergola or shade structure for patio Lil Gardening 8 04-06-2003 12:56 PM
Pergola flat top or slanted BS Lawns 0 09-05-2003 07:08 AM
Pergola success! cross United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 08:32 PM
o/t Pergola - advice please janet.bennett United Kingdom 15 05-04-2003 09:56 AM
Pergola ideas Peter and Susan Australia 9 05-04-2003 06:35 AM