Old 04-07-2005, 08:37 PM
J. M. Russo

Default Thatch

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Aspasia

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:37:31 GMT, "J. M. Russo"
wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.

How high/low is your mower set?

--

Aspasia
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM
J. M. Russo

wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.

How high/low is your mower set?

--

Aspasia

I have a service to cut the grass.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Stephen Henning

"J. M. Russo" wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.

These factors increase thatch development in grass by increasing
production of stems, leaf sheaths, and decay-resistant tissue:
1. choosing particularly vigorously growing grass varieties
2. applying excessive amounts of nitrogen, especially in spring
3. mowing infrequently or allowing grass to grow too tall before
mowing
4. growing varieties that are known to produce large amounts of
tough, fibrous tissue
5. compacted soil conditions leading to shallow root development

Other contributing factors are factors that decrease the rate at which
thatch decomposes:
6. acidic soil conditions
7. pesticides that restrict micro-organism or earthworm activity
8. allowing lawns to go dormant

Newer, improved varieties of Kentucky bluegrass that have been developed
for vigorous growth and better recovery on athletic fields and
high-quality home lawns develop thatch more quickly than the less
vigorously growing common types of Kentucky bluegrass.

Ways to prevent thatch include:

Fertilize only enough to maintain the lawn's desired color and growth.
Fall fertilization (mid to late October) is preferred to spring
fertilization because the resulting growth is not as rapid and lush.

Compacted soils and soils with poor drainage tend to accumulate thatch
faster than well-drained soils. Aerification promotes better moisture
and air penetration into compacted soils. It helps establish a deeper
and healthier root system and also stimulates the microbial activity
involved in decomposing the thatch layer. To be effective, the aerifier
must have hollow tines or spoons that bring the cores of soil to the
surface.

Mowing frequency is determined by the growth rate of the grass. If the
desired height is two inches, grass should be cut when it is no more
than three inches tall - regardless of the mower used.

Avoid using pesticides as much as possible. Many pesticides affect the
microbial and earthworm populations that are involved in decomposing the
thatch layer.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Bourne Identity

wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.

Chances are you are not watering properly. This is the number one
reason thatch is produced. When you do not water deeply, the roots of
the turf stay near the surface. People who water five minutes a day,
vs. people who water once a week putting down one inch of water have
far more problems with thatch buildup.

So, how are you watering?

Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Rob Mills

Maybe your lawn service is not bagging the cut grass or maybe their
equipment is not picking it up very well. If they are using mulching type
mowers it's possible that it's not cutting it up fine enough.
We had a Troy Built mulching mower that did an excellent job of mulching but
when we replaced it with a Craftsman mulcher it did a sorry job so had to go
back to bagging, in other words, all mulchers ain't equal. RM ~

PS, The new Troy Built mowers are not half the mower the old ones were,
which is the reason we changed.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Ben

I find that statement interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that
thatch was still attached the the roots, not clippings. I've been
trying to get an expert opinion on that for years.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Stephen Henning

"Ben" wrote:

I'm no expert but I thought that
thatch was still attached the the roots, not clippings. I've been
trying to get an expert opinion on that for years.

It is both the clippings and dead roots and leaf sheaths and other dead
material that harbor disease at the ground level. If air can penetrate,
it is not all bad. I hot weather it can help shade the roots. However
when is too dense it can prevent aeration and harbor disease.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Warren

Ben wrote:
I find that statement interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that
thatch was still attached the the roots, not clippings. I've been
trying to get an expert opinion on that for years.

The thatch is the dead, fibrous material still attached to the roots, and
often has green tips. It could be a result of a chain of events that
includes clippings, but it's not the clippings, and normal clippings aren't
the cause.

If the lawn isn't mowed often enough, and if when it is mowed too much is
consistently mowed-off at once, those clippings can essentially form a mulch
that'll make it difficult for air and water to get to the soil. Combine that
with frequent, shallow watering, and you'll get shallow roots. The shoots
growing off those shallow roots are more likely to form a layer of dead
thatch.

Putting too much nitrogen fertilizer on the lawn will cause it to grow too
fast, setting-up the whole cycle. With just the decomposed clippings
providing nitrogen on my lawn this year, I've had to mow two -- sometimes
three! -- times a week. And that was with the mower at the highest setting,
I was often finding myself mowing close to 1/3 the height of the grass even
when mowing that often.

I don't have a thatch problem, but my neighbor does. His lawn service spread
fertilizer in mid-spring, and only mowed once a week. And when it was mowed,
it was practically scalped. The only plus was that the service bagged the
clippings. We've gone only about 4 days without rain, and my neighbor's lawn
is already just golden tips on top of a layer of thatch.

So the lawn where the clipping were bagged has a thatch problem. The lawn
where the clippings were left doesn't. Looking at the two lawns makes it
obvious that it's not leaving the clippings that causes thatch problems.
It's a combination of fertilization, and mowing frequency and height.

Once the neighbor starts watering, he'll water for 15 or 20 minutes every
day, so later this year you'll also be able to see how daily shallow
watering vs. weekly deep watering will also affect lawn health. The layer of
thatch on his lawn is only going to make it worse, too. By fall, he'll have
one dead lawn with a few patches of fungal problems, at which point his lawn
service will spray some more crap on his lawn. The fall rains will come, and
by November he'll have a halfway decent looking lawn (if you look fast), and
he'll be convinced that it was whatever the lawn guy sprayed on it at the
end of summer.

I'm not sure how many more times we'll repeat this annual cycle before he
believes me when I tell him that it all started with the fertilizer his
service dumped on the lawn in the spring, or that the biggest factor was the
low, only weekly mowing. Or that his summer solution of shallow watering
didn't help, either. He still hasn't figured out that his lawn looks the
best during the 4 months that his lawn service doesn't touch it each winter.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 05-07-2005, 06:22 PM
J. M. Russo

Stephen Henning wrote:
"J. M. Russo" wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much for giving me such useful information. I have
done some of the don'ts which from your information I can
understand why my lawn has so much thatch. You all have been so
helpful and I really appreciate your sound advice.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:43:44 -0500, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

Maybe your lawn service is not bagging the cut grass or maybe their
equipment is not picking it up very well. If they are using mulching type
mowers it's possible that it's not cutting it up fine enough.
We had a Troy Built mulching mower that did an excellent job of mulching but
when we replaced it with a Craftsman mulcher it did a sorry job so had to go
back to bagging, in other words, all mulchers ain't equal. RM ~

PS, The new Troy Built mowers are not half the mower the old ones were,
which is the reason we changed.

Myth: grass clippings cause thatch.

Fact: poor watering practices cause thatch.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Bourne Identity

On 4 Jul 2005 16:31:22 -0700, "Ben" wrote:

I find that statement interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that
thatch was still attached the the roots, not clippings. I've been
trying to get an expert opinion on that for years.

Thatch is a layer of roots on the surface. This happens due to
shallow watering, not grass clippings. If anything, the clippings add
a bit of nitrogen back to the turf. If you have a serious problem and
water is not penetrating the thick layer of thatch, hire a service to
come in and remove it, or rent a dethatcher for the day or hours, etc.
After you so that service done, have them do something called "core
aeration." This is where actual plugs are removed from the soil,
beware of any wires of sprinklers when doing this or having it done.
All service companies with wires in the ground will come out for free
and mark their wires on the ground so you can avoid them.

If you do this, and water deeply less often, you will never have
thatch. Do a search and find out how to determine when you've watered
an inch of water. Do that once every week, or in the south, every
five days. Never water on a timed schedule. Always water based on the
volume of water you are putting down. The deeper the watering, the
deeper the roots, and the roots will not hover at the surface where
the shallow watering is.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Travis

wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.

How high/low is your mower set?

--

Aspasia

I have a service to cut the grass.

If you did your own yard work you might have a better idea of what is
going on. What fun is it to have a yard if someone else does all the
work.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 06-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Travis

Stephen Henning wrote:
"J. M. Russo" wrote:

[...]

Using a mulching mower will reduce the need for fertilizer.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 06-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Travis

wrote:

My lawn accumulates an excessive amount of thatch. Does
anyone know the cause of this, how to prevent it from happening
and how to get rid of the existing thatch as easily as possible.
I am in northern New Jersey. I use Scott's premium seed which
hasn't seemed to help the way the lawn looks. Would all of this
thatch be the reason? I appreciate your help.

Chances are you are not watering properly. This is the number one
reason thatch is produced. When you do not water deeply, the roots
of the turf stay near the surface. People who water five minutes a
day, vs. people who water once a week putting down one inch of
water have far more problems with thatch buildup.

So, how are you watering?

He probably has a watering service.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Thatch and Mulching Keith Corwell Gardening 5 13-05-2006 06:14 PM
composting thatch bill Gardening 5 02-06-2005 05:12 PM
weeds and thatch [email protected] Gardening 12 01-08-2004 02:32 PM
Breakup thatch now? Cut grass short? Phrederik Lawns 5 04-10-2003 02:36 AM
St. Augustine Lawn and Thatch Ray Lawns 3 06-06-2003 02:44 AM