Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 PM
rastapasta

"Jean B." wrote in message
Travis wrote:

The rooting medium need only be 4" deep and the cutting should not be
over 4". None of the leaves should touch the medium. Rooting hormone
may help. Since Maples are hardwood "heel cuttings are especially
desirable for material that is difficult to propagate and for hardwood
cuttings."

Maybe Paghat will chime in here. I have never tried to propagate any
trees but bought the book for reference and futere use.

I have to look up "heel cuttings". Of course, why I, with a black thumb
or two would even attempt this is a mystery--except for the fact that I
love Japanese maples....

--
Jean B.

Have you tried, or heard of, Clonex? I hear that's the bomb when trying to
grow from clones/cuttings. Also, you may try putting the cutting(s) in
rockwool cubes, & put 'em under some low-wattage grow lights, like compact
fluorescents etc.

Clonex:
http://www.growthtechnology.com/prop-crm.asp

cloning media:
http://cheaphydroponics.com/Merchant...y_Co de=CLONE

Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 PM
rastapasta

"Jean B." wrote in message
Travis wrote:

The rooting medium need only be 4" deep and the cutting should not be
over 4". None of the leaves should touch the medium. Rooting hormone
may help. Since Maples are hardwood "heel cuttings are especially
desirable for material that is difficult to propagate and for hardwood
cuttings."

Maybe Paghat will chime in here. I have never tried to propagate any
trees but bought the book for reference and futere use.

I have to look up "heel cuttings". Of course, why I, with a black thumb
or two would even attempt this is a mystery--except for the fact that I
love Japanese maples....

--
Jean B.

Also, check this cloning fact sheet out:

http://www.gro-lite.co.uk/fact_sheets.htm

Old 13-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Jean B.

rastapasta wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message

Travis wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I've heard of Clonex and rockwool. Forgot about the
former but the latter has stuck in my mind. Thank you for the
sources, which I shall save.

--
Jean B.
Old 13-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Jean B.

rastapasta wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message

Travis wrote:

The rooting medium need only be 4" deep and the cutting should not be
over 4". None of the leaves should touch the medium. Rooting hormone
may help. Since Maples are hardwood "heel cuttings are especially
desirable for material that is difficult to propagate and for hardwood
cuttings."

Maybe Paghat will chime in here. I have never tried to propagate any
trees but bought the book for reference and futere use.

I have to look up "heel cuttings". Of course, why I, with a black thumb
or two would even attempt this is a mystery--except for the fact that I
love Japanese maples....

--
Jean B.

Also, check this cloning fact sheet out:

http://www.gro-lite.co.uk/fact_sheets.htm

Thanks again. There are some tidbits there that I don't
recall reading. Given my black thumb, I should read as much
as possible about this topic!

--
Jean B.

[IMG] code is On

Specific Jap. Maple Grafting Question Martin Australia 0 20-03-2004 03:34 AM
[IBC] Japanese maple - JAP is a DIRTY WORD Edmund L. Castillo Bonsai 1 12-10-2003 08:32 AM
[IBC] Jap Maple Structure cut Martin Haber Bonsai 5 11-10-2003 11:02 PM
Jap Maple Structure cut Theo Bonsai 0 11-10-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Jap. Maple, looks good, not growing audgen Bonsai 3 28-05-2003 10:20 AM