Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
liz49

Default buds on impatiens

Something is nibbling off the buds of my impatiens plants before they
flower. Otherwise, the plants look healthy--leaves are green, not too
leggy. I've looked the plants over but don't see anything--no obvious
bugs or the like--there is some spider-webby type stuff on the rocks
that edge the bed where they're planted, but no webby stuff on the
plants themselves. Any ideas what might be causing this? I always
that Impatiens were easy to grow, but every year I have some sort of
problem.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 PM
B & J

"liz49" wrote in message
oups.com...
Something is nibbling off the buds of my impatiens plants before they
flower. Otherwise, the plants look healthy--leaves are green, not too
leggy. I've looked the plants over but don't see anything--no obvious
bugs or the like--there is some spider-webby type stuff on the rocks
that edge the bed where they're planted, but no webby stuff on the
plants themselves. Any ideas what might be causing this? I always
that Impatiens were easy to grow, but every year I have some sort of
problem.

Did you plant them in full sun? Many impatiens varieties do not like sun,
particularly the double varieties, although there are a number of single
varieties that handle sunlight quite well. I had a double variety that did
well in shade but had the buds dry up and fell off in sunlight.
Unfortunately, if you purchase plants, growers seldom label the best
location for the different varieties unless they are labeled with such names
'sunny lady' or 'shady lady'. The best way to get a variety for your
specific growing condition is to purchase and start you own seeds.

Impatiens also like to be kept evenly moist at all times. If they are
allowed to get too dry, they will often drop their buds.

Just some thoughts.... JPS

Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Jenny

B & J wrote:

Did you plant them in full sun? Many impatiens varieties do not like sun,
particularly the double varieties, although there are a number of single
varieties that handle sunlight quite well. I had a double variety that did
well in shade but had the buds dry up and fell off in sunlight.

I had the exact opposite experience. I had no luck at all raising
double impatiens in a shady corner of my garden. Someone at a garden
center told me they needed more light, so I moved a near-moribund plant
to a mostly sun location and it is now completely covered with flowers.

[IMG] code is On

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
buds on impatiens liz49 Gardening 0 06-07-2005 08:51 PM
Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials? Ablang Gardening 11 09-06-2003 12:44 AM