Old 09-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Gntry

Default Need reassurance

I lurk here quite often and the advice here seems knowledable...let me ask
few questions, I'm open to anyones
suggestions.
This past w/e I put a weeping cherry in my yard..it is approx. 7' tall and
has a stalk of 1 3/4"..I followed the nurserys planting directions and I'm
starting to have concern over the tree..
1. the leaves are curling inward and the branches are dropping, over all
looks are "not well"
2. today I noticed holes in some of the leaves and irregular edges on some
leaves..I fear some type of insect?
3. some of the leaves are turning brown
I took a couple pics.. www.buffnet.net/~gntry/tree2
www.buffnet.net/~gntry/tree1

Take alook and any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Colleen
(I'm in zone 5, upstate NY)

Old 10-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:48:59 GMT, Gntry wrote:
I lurk here quite often and the advice here seems knowledable...let me ask
few questions, I'm open to anyones
suggestions.
This past w/e I put a weeping cherry in my yard..it is approx. 7' tall and
has a stalk of 1 3/4"..I followed the nurserys planting directions and I'm
starting to have concern over the tree..

Looks like a tree that was planted in midsummer, instead of during a cooler
season (spring or fall is a much better time for planting most trees -- talk
to your extension service to find out which in your area). The leaves
are not getting enough water from the roots at present to do well; the
tree will probably shed quite a few leaves in the coming weeks in an
attempt to balance roots and shoots.

Will it survive? Maybe, maybe not. You can try to stack the deck in
its favor by supplying adequate water now on a regular basis (but do not
allow the water to pond). I'd be applying at least enough water to keep
the grass in the area around the tree actively growing by deeply watering
the area regularly. Also add a mulch over all that bare soil... keep a
2-3" band right at the trunk bare, though.

How did you bring the tree home from the nursery? Was it wrapped to prevent
wind damage and desiccation?

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/g...e/plantree.htm
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07417.html
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/planting/
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Gntry

It was wrapped with a huge garbage bag that blew off twice on the way
home...luckily we're only about 4 mi. from the nursery. What is desiccation?
It was burlaped and wire caged...we removed all that before putting in the
hole..we also have peat moss mixed (50/50) with the dirt...I've been
watering every day, it's been very hot here in Buffalo, NY since the 1st of
June(85-95 daily). Its guarenteed for a year but I really want to try and
make it survive. On the ground covering the dirt is actually compost, thats
why its black looking. We also put starter fertilizer on it(per package)..I
don't know what else to do.
Thanks for all your input