Old 14-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Doug Kanter

"B & J" wrote in message
news:scjBe.3879$Zt.1724@okepread05...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"B & J" wrote in message
news:xP_Ae.3856$Zt.478@okepread05...

Northern MN, my original home, had a reasonable balance. We had a number
of pack of timber wolves in the area that made Bambi their main food
source,

Will timber wolves eat dogs, too? If so, I'd like to borrow a couple.

It's interesting that you should ask, for they certainly do eat dogs.
People in our town were warned to never put their dogs out on a leash in
the winter, particularly after dark (arrived at 4:30 in December) after a
number of dogs were taken, killed, and eaten by wolves. Some friends of
ours who live in the country had a springer spaniel bitch killed this past
winter when she was allowed out after dark to use the facilities. I felt
really sorry for them, but they were also Bambi lover who fed deer in the
winter, which in turn attracted the wolves to their area. I'm sure they
would be happy to share some wolves with you. Of course, it would be your
responsibility to catch and transport them. :-)

JPS

Sounds like the perfect legal solution. "I don't know nuthin' about youse
dog. Maybe it went to New Joisey, or Florida?"

Old 14-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you have a deer problem it is because your freezer is too small.

Believe me - if there were a safe way to use a weapon in my neighborhood of
1/4 acre lots, I'd own a larger freezer.

Old 15-07-2005, 03:44 AM
B & J

"B & J" wrote in message
"Mickey&Nat" wrote in message
Hi,
I am an occasional lurker to the group. I have to laugh at your
drastic measures. An easy way out but not inexpensive is to buy a product
called "Liquid Fence" at your local garden store. Stuff stinks like the
devil when you first spray it but it works.

Thank you,

Natalie

There wasn't an answer to the ingredients of Liquid Fence, which someone
requested. Here's what deters Bambi:

Putrescent Egg Solids
Garlic
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Potassium Sorbate
Xanthan Gum

Smell 'em and gag! VBG

JPS

Old 15-07-2005, 06:14 PM
madgardener

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I can't afford the fence I want yet, so I'm struggling with half-assed
methods until next season. What's worked so far has been:

- Hang Irish Spring bar soap underneath upside down 1-quart yogurt
containers (to keep rain from washing away the soap). A friend had

success
with this around his apple trees.

Yes, but then you have to deal with the leprechauns attracted by the Irish
Spring.

there, I spelled it correctly for youse........and I'd figure the
Leprechauns would be searching for bowls of cereal...................gbseg
actually the rumor is they're kissing cousins to the fairies, who like bowls
of cream......and the Leprechauns like mead...........and make single shoes
(never a pair)
madgardener up on the ridge where faeires abound of every variety and
hue.........back in my own Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in
Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 16-07-2005, 12:07 AM
SVTKate

Did you know...
that venison is delicious if floured and fried?
Made into Jerky or stew...

I grew up on it.

Kate

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Just whining... planted my first-ever vegetable garden this year, and
: it's been doing really well, but earlier this summer, I came out to
: find the tops of my bush beans munched off and a big deer hoofprint in
: the soil. I strung up that black deer netting 4 feet high around the
: beds, my beans recovered, and all was well for a few months.
:
: I came home last night and went out check the garden, and those sneaky
: *******s RIPPED DOWN the black netting and snacked up my bush beans
: again. My husband thought it must have been neighborhood kids, but no,
: we had hoofprints again.
:
: I know my mistake was putting the netting too close to the plants; the
: leaves were touching the netting in many places, so I guess they proved
: to be too much temptation. Next year - 6 foot fencing three feet away
: from the beds.
:
: Grumblerumblegrrrrr.
:
: --
: Jennifer
:

Old 16-07-2005, 12:07 AM
SVTKate

: "B & J" wrote in message
: news:xP_Ae.3856$Zt.478@okepread05...
:
: Northern MN, my original home, had a reasonable balance. We had a number
: of pack of timber wolves in the area that made Bambi their main food
: source,
:
: Will timber wolves eat dogs, too? If so, I'd like to borrow a couple.

Wolves and coyotes WILL kill dogs, yes.

Old 16-07-2005, 12:10 AM
SVTKate

"B & J" wrote in message
: "Doug Kanter" wrote in message
: ...
: "B & J" wrote in message
[...]
Our neighbors just down the road had a dog that barked all the time.
BUT he wasn't a bad dog he just barked.
They finally tied him to a tree, and left for the weekend with the parents
who live next door to dog sit.

The coyotes got him. The saddest damn thing I think I have ever heard.
MY dog, when I was a little Kate was killed by 'yotes too.. but she wasn't
tied up.

Kate

Old 19-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Anna

Scramble up some eggs, leave raw, let set a few days to ripen, put in a
spray bottle and spray everything in site. The deer will steer clear.
Works for my mother-in-law. OMG does it ever stink!
Must be reapplied after a good rain.

link.net...

Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Lady Blacksword

It keeps mother-in-laws away too!?!
Cool....
Murri

"Anna" wrote in message
Scramble up some eggs, leave raw, let set a few days to ripen, put in a
spray bottle and spray everything in site. The deer will steer clear.
Works for my mother-in-law. OMG does it ever stink!
Must be reapplied after a good rain.

link.net...