Old 13-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Patti

Default What big is this in my houseplant soil?

We bought a scraggly ficus a couple of months ago that we are trying to
nurse back to health. Had (has) scale, so we took it outside and
sprayed it with Neem oil. Now it has little tiny centipede-like
creatures in the soil. They are brown, about 1/3 inch long, with lots
of legs. They are fast little creatures, and there are a lot of them!
Don't know if they came with the ficus or if they jumped in when we had
it outside to spray for scale. What are they, and more importantly,
how do I get rid of them?!?

Many thanks!

Old 13-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Doug Kanter

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
news
On 13 Jul 2005 09:17:05 -0700, "Patti" wrote:

sprayed it with Neem oil. Now it has little tiny centipede-like
creatures in the soil. They are brown, about 1/3 inch long, with lots
of legs. They are fast little creatures, and there are a lot of them!

Mabe tiny centipedes? Or milipedes. Babies. That will grow up into much
bigger centipedes or
milipedes. And will sneak into your house, climb into your ear as you
sleep and eat your brains.

Oh my goodness. Is this true? :-)

Old 13-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Toni

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
news

Mabe tiny centipedes? Or milipedes. Babies. That will grow up into

much
bigger centipedes or
milipedes. And will sneak into your house, climb into your ear as you
sleep and eat your brains.

Oh my goodness. Is this true? :-)

I knew a guy once whose mothers sisters nephew had it happen.
He's the guy they wrote the "Night Gallery" earwig episode about.
Rod Serling even visited his grave and left him a Raid scented thank you
note.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 13-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Absolutely.

Earwigs will do that too!!!

Didn't you see Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn?

Old 13-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Nothing to worry about.
Fast is probably little centipedes ( one pair of legs per body segment)
Slower might be millipedes ( 2 pair of legs per body segment)
centipedes are carniverous, millipedes tend to eat decaying vegetable
material .
See if they congregate under a cucmber slice or two and remove by hand.

Old 14-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Bourne Identity

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:40:10 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:

On 13 Jul 2005 09:17:05 -0700, "Patti" wrote:

sprayed it with Neem oil. Now it has little tiny centipede-like
creatures in the soil. They are brown, about 1/3 inch long, with lots
of legs. They are fast little creatures, and there are a lot of them!

Mabe tiny centipedes? Or milipedes. Babies. That will grow up into much bigger centipedes or
milipedes. And will sneak into your house, climb into your ear as you sleep and eat your brains.

Steve, that you? Another huge laughage for today!
Old 14-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Bourne Identity

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:12:22 -0400, "Toni" wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
news

Mabe tiny centipedes? Or milipedes. Babies. That will grow up into

much
bigger centipedes or
milipedes. And will sneak into your house, climb into your ear as you
sleep and eat your brains.

Oh my goodness. Is this true? :-)

I knew a guy once whose mothers sisters nephew had it happen.
He's the guy they wrote the "Night Gallery" earwig episode about.
Rod Serling even visited his grave and left him a Raid scented thank you
note.

Oh yeah, I know the nurse who removed the gerbil from Richard Gere's
butt! LOL