Old 17-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Popcorn Lover

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

So how can someone bring it from the neighbor's lawn, to their
own yard?

Why would anyone want to? This plant is horribly invasive and
almost impossible to irradicate.

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

--
- Popcorn Lover
If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet but
Old 18-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Ann

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Purple
loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our native wetland plants,
like Lobelia cardinalis, the cardinal flower. I just hate to see
anyone spread such an invasive plant.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Popcorn Lover

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our native
wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the cardinal flower.
I just hate to see anyone spread such an invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

Old 20-07-2005, 03:00 AM
enigma

Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think
it's pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our
native wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the
cardinal flower. I just hate to see anyone spread such an
invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

right. and it's an *invasive* plant. the point being that you
canNOT control it's spread. you may think it's pretty, but
will your neighbors? how about the people in the next town
over? or in the next state? you can't keep it from invading
the wild.
and yes, invasive weeds *do* travel that far. purple
loosestrife expands it's range at something like 25
miles/year.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 20-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Popcorn Lover

enigma wrote :

Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think
it's pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our
native wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the
cardinal flower. I just hate to see anyone spread such an
invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

right. and it's an *invasive* plant. the point being that you
canNOT control it's spread.

So what. The world is full of such plants. We have a pretty red-
flowering purslane planted in the garden. So what?

If I wanted, I could plant bamboo that would be "invasive". So
what?

Invasive is just a hardy plant that someone else doesn't like.

you may think it's pretty, but
will your neighbors?

Not my problem. I worry about my property.

how about the people in the next town
over? or in the next state? you can't keep it from invading
the wild.

Well here in Colorado the cold weather does a decent job of that.
I'm hardly worried that something is gonna take over the whole
world from my backyard.

and yes, invasive weeds *do* travel that far. purple
loosestrife expands it's range at something like 25
miles/year.

Cool. It's very pretty.

And it's already out there, there isn't a thing anyone can do
about it.

And I want some.

Old 20-07-2005, 04:03 AM
cat daddy

"Popcorn Lover" wrote in message
. 142...
enigma wrote :

Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think
it's pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our
native wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the
cardinal flower. I just hate to see anyone spread such an
invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

http://www.iisgcp.org/EXOTICSP/purple_loosestrife.htm
"Each mature plant produces 30 or more spikes and can produce over 2.5
million seeds per year. When purple loosestrife gets a foothold, the habitat
where fish and wildlife feed, seek shelter, reproduce and rear young,
quickly becomes choked under a sea of purple flowers."

right. and it's an *invasive* plant. the point being that you
canNOT control it's spread.

So what. The world is full of such plants. We have a pretty red-
flowering purslane planted in the garden. So what?

"The Purple Loosestrife is a very hardy perennial which can rapidly
degrade wetlands, diminishing their value for wildlife habitat. Wetlands are
the most biologically diverse, productive component of our ecosystem.
Hundreds of species of plants, birds, mammals, reptiles, insects, fish and
amphibians rely on healthy wetland habitat for their survival."

If I wanted, I could plant bamboo that would be "invasive". So
what?

Invasive is just a hardy plant that someone else doesn't like.

you may think it's pretty, but
will your neighbors?

Not my problem. I worry about my property.

"Purple loosestrife has had no problem spreading. One stalk can produce
up to 3,000,000 lightweight seeds with a very high germination rate. New
plants can even sprout from the roots or runners of other plants. Roadside
ditches serve as excellent habitats for this water loving plant. These
ditches also provide pathways between wetlands for the purple loosestrife to
travel, and spread through."

how about the people in the next town
over? or in the next state? you can't keep it from invading
the wild.

Well here in Colorado the cold weather does a decent job of that.
I'm hardly worried that something is gonna take over the whole
world from my backyard.

http://www.iisgcp.org/EXOTICSP/image.../map-NAPIS.gif

http://www.iisgcp.org/EXOTICSP/image...fe/cornell.gif
Infested.

and yes, invasive weeds *do* travel that far. purple
loosestrife expands it's range at something like 25
miles/year.

Cool. It's very pretty.

And it's already out there, there isn't a thing anyone can do
about it.

And I want some.

Controlling the spread of purple loosestrife is crucial to protecting vital
fish, wildlife and native plant habitat!

YOU CAN HELP

REPORT Watch for purple loosestrife, and report locations where it is found
to the Department of Environmental Conservation, or/and Sea Grant Office.

Request Ask your local garden center or nursery to stop selling purple
loosestrife and its varieties (If you find it). Horticultural varieties of
purple loosestrife were once thought to be sterile, but recent studies have
shown that this is untrue.

PROPER DISPOSAL of plant material is important. Put all plant pieces in
plastic bags (vegetation rots quickly in plastic) and take the bags to a
sanitary landfill site. Be sure the landfill site doesn't require bags to be
broken open for composting. Composting is not advised, as purple loosestrife
seeds may not be destroyed and the thick, woody stem and roots take a long
time to decompose. If facilities exist in your area, incineration is an
effective way to dispose of plant material.

Replace Landscape with native plants instead of purple loosestrife.
Several colorful native plants thrive in the same habitat as purple
loosestrife. Examples which are readily available include:

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) produces a spike of brilliant scarlet
flowers.
Blueflag (Iris versicolor) is a native iris with large, showy, purple-
veined, blue flowers.
Monkey Flower (Mimulus ringens) has pairs of violet and yellow flowers
arranged along a tall stem.
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) exhibits stunning spikes of blue flowers

Old 20-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Ann

"cat daddy" expounded:

"Each mature plant produces 30 or more spikes and can produce over 2.5
million seeds per year. When purple loosestrife gets a foothold, the habitat
where fish and wildlife feed, seek shelter, reproduce and rear young,
quickly becomes choked under a sea of purple flowers."

Please note I brought up purple loosestrife. This poster wants to
grow Campanula rapunculoides and doesn't give a fig about how invasive
it is, nor does s/h/it care what it does to the surrounding
environment. Whatever. I hope they get it.....in spades! BSEG
Old 20-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Popcorn Lover

"cat daddy" wrote :

Replace Landscape with native plants instead of purple
loosestrife.
Several colorful native plants thrive in the same habitat as
purple loosestrife. Examples which are readily available
include:

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) produces a spike of
brilliant scarlet flowers.
Blueflag (Iris versicolor) is a native iris with large, showy,
purple- veined, blue flowers.
Monkey Flower (Mimulus ringens) has pairs of violet and yellow
flowers arranged along a tall stem.
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) exhibits stunning spikes of
blue flowers

Ok, thanks for the interesting post, I'll change my mind.