Old 09-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Tom

Default Will growing season be delayed?

The past February was the first that I can remember where I didn't hear the
question, "Do you think the daffodils and crocuses that have started growing
will survive the next cold spell?"
Also, come say July, will the plants be as far along as they would have been
without the extended cold weather?

Old 09-03-2003, 08:56 PM
madgard

crocuses are tough, they will endure come a cold snap (we're not near out of
the woods here in Eastern Tennessee, and it got up to 72o today.......) the
daffs will suffer if they're blooming, so I just harvest them and make the
first boquet for the house. They will be fine if there is a freeze or snow.
As long as you leave the leaves on the bulbs alone to dissappear come July,
they'll be fine. I have perennials popping up underneath the dead stems and
if we get a freeze or snow or frost, they'll be fine......madgardener up on
the sunny ridge, back in fairy holler where the fairies and me have been
doing some springy things all day, overlooking English Mountain, zone 6b
Sunset zone 36

Old 09-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Rachel

"madgard" wrote in message

crocuses are tough, they will endure come a cold snap (we're not near out

of
the woods here in Eastern Tennessee, and it got up to 72o today.......)

A few hundred miles up the ridge from you (Eastern Panhandle of WV) it only
made 58o, but that was enough to shrink the snow cover by half. Two clumps
of crocuses and the first daffodil spears appeared. At last. And some leeks
in my garden bed, which, now in their third year, have finally grown as
thick as a person's thumb.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:20 AM
madgard

alright!!! I personally think that Mom's Nature isn't thru with us. I've
seen snow on the dogwood blossoms before. We've gotten inches of rain so
far, but it's not beyond my thoughts that we get a spring snow. I would be
surprised if we didn't get one before the middle of April. (I ain't wishing,
just remarking) I was actually glad we got snow and cold this year instead
of the non-winter like weather we've gotten these last years. It just
didn't feel right. I tend to think 58o is a nice temperature. That's what
it was last week for us and I enjoyed it. Is it me or are winter's just not
"normal" like they were decades ago? (ain't trying for flaming here, just
curious)

madgardener glad you got a start on your spring too......

Old 10-03-2003, 05:56 AM
B & J

Everything is extremely late in northern AR. The daffodils and tulips are
barely coming up, and the only plants in bloom are winter jasmine and iris
reticulata. The forsythia buds are only slightly swollen, and it appears as
if the apricots may actually produce because they're only as far advanced as
the forsythia. A problem is that we're far below normal in rainfall. Cold
and dry is not a good combination.

John

Old 10-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

B & J wrote:

Everything is extremely late in northern AR. The daffodils and tulips are
barely coming up, and the only plants in bloom are winter jasmine and iris
reticulata. The forsythia buds are only slightly swollen, and it appears as
if the apricots may actually produce because they're only as far advanced as
the forsythia. A problem is that we're far below normal in rainfall. Cold
and dry is not a good combination.

John

Two cold frames up and running. Should have lettuce in three weeks.
Most useful things I ever built.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: Will growing season be delayed?
From: "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
Two cold frames up and running. Should have lettuce in three weeks.
Most useful things I ever built.
____Reply Separator_____
Are you a doctor from Pennsylvania or a man of the cloth, unsure of whether
you're from Maryland or Pennsylvania?
Seriously, what zone are you in to have cold frames outside?

Old 15-03-2003, 02:56 AM
GrampysGurl

crocuses are tough, they will endure come a cold snap (we're not near out of
the woods here in Eastern Tennessee, and it got up to 72o today.......) the
daffs will suffer if they're blooming, so I just harvest them and make the
first boquet for the house. They will be fine if there is a freeze or snow.
As long as you leave the leaves on the bulbs alone to dissappear come July,
they'll be fine. I have perennials popping up underneath the dead stems and
if we get a freeze or snow or frost, they'll be fine......madgardener up on
the sunny ridge, back in fairy holler where the fairies and me have been
doing some springy things all day, overlooking English Mountain, zone 6b
Sunset zone 36

Just color me jealous... It will hit the 50's this weekend but we still have a
ton of snow. Possibly more next week... twice.
Colleen
Connecticut
Old 15-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Cereoid+10+

Haven't you heard?

If the USA does indeed go to war with Iraq, the president will make an
executive order declaring that the growing season be delayed until further
notice.

War rationings, you know.

Kill an Iraqi for Dubaya's Pappy!!!