Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 AM
David DeMar

Default Hot Pepper Plants

I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate? Will I have to pollenate them? How is that done?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:36:38 GMT, David DeMar
wrote:

How is that done?

click your heals three times and shout "I'm a republican redneck"

Regards,

tomj
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Cricket

Yes, hot peppers can be grown indoors in containers. They will self
pollinate to an extent, rubbing all the flowers with a common q-tip every
day will in aid in fruit setting Give them as much sunlight as you can.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
m...

Old 10-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Not Annie Hall

Most people would find it difficult to click their "heals".
Regards,
Your friend Ann

Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Sunflower

"David DeMar" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate? Will I have to pollenate them? How is that done?

Peppers require HID lighting and quite warm temperatures in order to set
fruit, just like tomatoes. If you don't provide them with enough light and
heat, they make pretty foliage plants, but don't do squat for producing for
your table.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 10-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

David DeMar wrote:

I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate?

Will I have to pollenate them?

Yes - with a small artist's paintbrush, move pollen from one
blossom to another.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Sampson

David DeMar wrote in
m:

I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate? Will I have to pollenate them? How is that done?

You might want to set up a humidifier.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Dwight Sipler

Sampson wrote:

David DeMar wrote in
m:

I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate? Will I have to pollenate them? How is that done?

You might want to set up a humidifier.

Then again, you might not want to set up a humidifier. High humidity
will encourage damping off of seedlings. Most hot peppers do well in hot
dry climates.

As far as pollination is concerned, you can pollinate them by hand, but
that is probably too labor intensive for a significant planting. Are you
trying to get a winter crop or just control the environment?

Check out http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/chap6/pepper.html, which
is geared toward sweet peppers, but is applicable to hot peppers as
well.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 PM
jcart003

I have a new mex jim ( I think) hot pepper on my sink now, it is a
year old and has lots of peppers, and hot! I have given it no real
care, it was a lark, and it has thrived. It is in a 4 inch cly pot in
a south window, growing in comercial soilless soil. Fed a bit of
20-20-20 as needed it is thriving. It did have a good summers growth
going into the winter! It should self pollinate with out any help.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Apairently my spiel chicker is not clairevoiyunt!

Old 11-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:56:36 GMT, Sampson wrote:

You might want to set up a humidifier.

I'll remember to remind my pepper plants in 7% humidity this summer
that they shouldn't be doing well.....

Regards,

tomj
Old 14-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Jeremy C

David-

Some sweet peppers will produce fruit indoors, if you give them full direct
sunlight for at least a few hours a day. There are several species of
pepper that will form intumescence (leaf tumors) if they don't get enough
direct sun (it is actually UV-B that prevents this), and this will
definitely hamper production.

As far as pollination, peppers are self-pollinators, so no need to worry
about buddy plants or manual pollination.

--
Jeremy C.

http://www.hortusunlimited.com
Educated Horticultural Services

"David DeMar" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to grow a variety hot pepper plants indoors. Do these
types of plants typically produce fruit inside? Do they
self-pollenate? Will I have to pollenate them? How is that done?

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone? Marie Dodge Gardening 46 31-08-2008 06:39 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM