Old 11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default OT-Pennies, how do I redeem 'em?

DA surely must stand for "dumb ass" not "district attorney".
Somebody should have turned you in long ago!!!

Give them pennies to mmarteen to put in the bottom of the pot for her
Ficus!!!!!

TOM KAN PA wrote in message
Take 'em to a bank? Doesn't work, at least in the Pittsburgh, PA area.
I have around $100 worth, rolled and wrapped. A few years ago there was a

penny
shortage. One local bank offered a $5 gift certificate at a local

restaurant
for $50 worth of pennies. Being a DA, I didn't turn mine in. Now I wish I

had.
So, any suggestions

Old 11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
madgard

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good one.............EGmadgardener
"Zemedelec" wrote in message
Make each one take Jesus as its personal saviour.
zemedelec

Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:24:48 -0700,

(paghat) wrote:

Many US banks charge a fee to machine-count & machine-roll pennies, & will
not accept pennies that are not rolled. So if you show up with a sack or a
jar of pennies, they will not count them for you unless you pay them, &
will refuse to take them if you refuse to pay for them to handle them. It
would be interesting to test the federal law on this with a class action
suit against the banking industry, but somehow I suspect their influence
in government vastly exceeds our individual rights, so as legal tender
pennies will continue to be discounted via fees at bankers' whims.

I've heard it costs more than a penny for the government to make a penny &
the mint would like to phase them out, but it's politically unacceptable
cuz people like the idea that pennies exist even if they don't like
pennies.

-paghat the ratgirl

Its a shame that we can't get rid of pennies. They are such a waste
of time and effort.
I just don't understand why it is politically unacceptable, except of
course that will allow businesses to round up to the nearest nickel.
That means higher costs for customers, and added profits for the
business, which is always unPC. But we're only talking pennies per
transaction!

Actually, businesses would tend to round down by 4 cents. The reason stuff
costs $1.99 instead of $2 is to trick the eye into thinking in terms of
the $1 part of the number. It would have to become $1.95 to maintain the
same psychological advantage.

In the increasingly electronic & credit card & debit card oriented world,
however, the mere-pennies-off wouldn't disappear. The real threat is that
ALL physical money will someday vanish & the only way to be permitted to
stay alive in the world will be to have oneself plugged into a credit
system that permits businesses & government to track our every purchase,
our every move, with no option of privacy.

Which means the end of the penny is the end of freedom.

-paghat the ratgirl

But it still makes no sense when people will not even pick up pennies
off the floor, and they're giving them away at store counters to make
even change.
Get rid of them I say. We'll be better off for it.

Swyck

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 12-03-2003, 12:20 AM
paghat

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
Make each one take Jesus as its personal saviour.
zemedelec

"Jesus Saves!" -- so can you! -- at Lincoln Savings & Loan.

I suppose no one else is unfortunate enough to remember the jingle:

"Lincoln lincoln I've thinkin'
the very best place to go
to save your money to save your money
at Lincoln First, Lincoln First,
Federal Savings & Loan."

-paghat the radio-ad-gal

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Myown Uncle

(paghat) wrote:

[...]

Heeyyyy! I LIKE pennies! what else would I put behind my fuses?

Old 12-03-2003, 12:20 PM
silvasurfa

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Take 'em to a bank? Doesn't work, at least in the Pittsburgh, PA area.
I have around $100 worth, rolled and wrapped. A few years ago there was a

penny
shortage. One local bank offered a $5 gift certificate at a local

restaurant
for $50 worth of pennies. Being a DA, I didn't turn mine in. Now I wish I

had.
So, any suggestions

I've found best place to redeem change is a larger branch of a bank in the
commercial district. They are more likely to have a coin counting machine,
and are more likely to need the coins.

Old 12-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

silvasurfa wrote:

...I've found best place to redeem change is a larger branch of a bank in the
commercial district. They are more likely to have a coin counting machine,
and are more likely to need the coins...

I have two bank accounts: one with a monster bank, which I keep for
convenience because it has ATM's all over the area; and one with a small
local bank, which I keep because they give me good service. The small
bank takes my rolled coins and gives me the tubes to roll more (no
charge). The small bank gives me the paper straps to wrap bills. When I
forget my account number they know it (or can look it up) without asking
me who I am. The small bank has a branch in my town, not just an ATM,
and the branch is staffed by real people who are there consistently and
know me.

I keep just enough in the large bank to avoid service charges. All the
rest (which isn't all that much) goes into the smaller one.
Old 13-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Ann

Dwight Sipler expounded:

I have two bank accounts: one with a monster bank, which I keep for
convenience because it has ATM's all over the area; and one with a small
local bank, which I keep because they give me good service. The small
bank takes my rolled coins and gives me the tubes to roll more (no
charge). The small bank gives me the paper straps to wrap bills. When I
forget my account number they know it (or can look it up) without asking
me who I am. The small bank has a branch in my town, not just an ATM,
and the branch is staffed by real people who are there consistently and
know me.

I've used the small bank (credit union, actually) since I was 18 for
all the reasons you list above. They belong to a network for the
ATM's, so I have no problem finding one I don't have to pay a fee at.
I'll never go to a large bank, they fee you to death!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA