Old 10-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Sampson

Default Soil level

When transplanting, is it okay to put the soil level up higher on the plant
than it was before? I would think it would benefit the roots. People have
told me it increases the chance of disease. Or does it depend on the type
of plant?
Old 10-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:25:47 GMT, Sampson wrote:

When transplanting, is it okay to put the soil level up higher on the plant
than it was before? I would think it would benefit the roots. People have
told me it increases the chance of disease. Or does it depend on the type
of plant?

For trees, I would maintain the soil level. Other than that it
depends on the plant, conditions, and other factors.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Starlord

Normal thing to do is at the SAME level as the old growing place.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

Old 10-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Pam

Sampson wrote:

When transplanting, is it okay to put the soil level up higher on the plant
than it was before? I would think it would benefit the roots. People have
told me it increases the chance of disease. Or does it depend on the type
of plant?

It depends very much on the plant and the soil conditions. With the exception
of clematis, erring on the side of planting too high is far better than
planting too deep.

[IMG] code is On

course choice. RHS level 2 or NCFE level 3? Binz United Kingdom 0 05-11-2012 08:04 PM
Seedlings chopped off a soil level ??? Any ideas of the culprit. Mr Big United Kingdom 1 09-05-2006 09:26 PM
Glyphosate applications in RR soy increase soil pathogen level Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 08-09-2003 03:04 AM
Water Level Dropping Dan Ponds 4 25-01-2003 10:29 PM
Checking the Moisture Level Or Kid Orchids 0 23-01-2003 07:55 AM