Old 29-08-2005, 06:07 PM
dcsligo

Default Dead lawn, what do I do?

I've never had a garden before so am totally clueless but eager to
learn.

Basically, my lawn is in real bad shape - overrun with weeds, never
maintained. Though there does seem to be grass there someplace. My
question is can it be salvaged, or should i just till the lot? If i can
recover it, how do i go about doing it? I have just bought a lawnmower
so thats a start. When do i cut, water, aerate, fertilize, add lime,
etc??

Appreciate any help (Lawn care for dummies is on the way...).

Here's a pic if anyones interested

http://cresthillgarden.shutterfly.co...8AcNWTVm3ZMmNw

Old 30-08-2005, 03:48 AM
World Traveler

Instructions depend on where you live -- procedures in Florida will vary
greatly from those in the Midwest --
The best thing you can do is go to your local extension service office and
get some of their brochures on lawn care and have a dialogue with an
extension agent or a Master Gardener (if there is one). If you have the
time, sign up to take the Master Gardener course; otherwise, watch for the
extension service to have a seminar on lawn care. -- Regards --

ups.com...

Old 30-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Mark Mitchell

It appears that maybe Scott's Lawn Care was the previous owners choice,
Scott's left my lawn in about the same condition.

Stick with the extension service or local college. Some colleges have
excellent resources available to the homeowner.

Mark Mitchell

"World Traveler" wrote in message
ink.net...
Instructions depend on where you live -- procedures in Florida will vary
greatly from those in the Midwest --
The best thing you can do is go to your local extension service office and
get some of their brochures on lawn care and have a dialogue with an
extension agent or a Master Gardener (if there is one). If you have the
time, sign up to take the Master Gardener course; otherwise, watch for the
extension service to have a seminar on lawn care. -- Regards --

ups.com...

Old 31-08-2005, 02:10 AM
jamogod

Man I know I'm gettin sick of you bitchin' bout Scotts Lawn Service,
everyone else must be too. This is simply from a lack of care. On the
homeowners part. In my years in the business, I've met alot of clients like
you, you hire a company so you have someone to blame.

Start Off with a soil test and find out what is " lacking" in nutrients.
Then build your fertilizer preogram from there. Identify your problem areas
and realize that things wont be perfect after just one season. Seeding,
aerating and proper irrigation are important to a healthy lawn. adding
organic materials is also a major plus. The do it yourselfer can find
hoardes of information on the internet .

The best advice I can give you is this. Dont trust the kid with a summer job
at the chain stores. Go to a sod farm or nursery for your products and
advice. OR, at my company and on the road we're always happy to give free
advice.

Jamogod
"Mark Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

ups.com...

Old 31-08-2005, 05:58 PM
G Henslee

jamogod wrote:
Man I know I'm gettin sick of you bitchin' bout Scotts Lawn Service,
everyone else must be too.

Mitchell's a whiney bitch nobody listens to anymore.

Old 31-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Steveo

"dcsligo" wrote:
I've never had a garden before so am totally clueless but eager to
learn.

Basically, my lawn is in real bad shape - overrun with weeds, never
maintained. Though there does seem to be grass there someplace. My
question is can it be salvaged, or should i just till the lot? If i can
recover it, how do i go about doing it? I have just bought a lawnmower
so thats a start. When do i cut, water, aerate, fertilize, add lime,
etc??

Appreciate any help (Lawn care for dummies is on the way...).

Here's a pic if anyones interested

http://cresthillgarden.shutterfly.co...8AcNWTVm3ZMmNw

Hire a -local- lawn service to treat it for you, until you learn more about
what's up with that.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:53 AM
dcsligo

Thanks guys, I did just that - hired a local crew to do it at a pretty
good price. This way I get to see what they do so at least I can learn,
and can concentrate on everything else wrong with the house :S.

Thanks again

Old 01-09-2005, 05:03 AM
Steveo

"dcsligo" wrote:
Thanks guys, I did just that - hired a local crew to do it at a pretty
good price. This way I get to see what they do so at least I can learn,
and can concentrate on everything else wrong with the house :S.

Thanks again

Not so bad, and most all offer free service calls if you feel it needs it.

Good luck with your new castle.